Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Long story short, I'm roped into shooting a local dance. Purely candids, nothing professional or for profit. This is outside of my arena, however I've done this once for them before. I'm shooting purely with my 10D and my Speedlite, no external flash system. I don't have the best lens, I use the one they typically provide, as they have another photographer (It's sorta my school deal.)

Here's a pic I took at homecoming. And the exif details. Can someone tell me if I'm doing something wrong? I know what I'd look for, but I have not altered any of these pictures before....and they're not expecting much (believe me.) Hence the reason I'm not exactly using my best gear (I'm also involved as a student).

shutter speed: 1/60
f-stop: 3.5
aperture: 3.5
focal length: 20mm (I'm shooting with a 35mm today...I know *cringe*)

That said, any pointers on what I can do to work with what I have?

Attachments

• sample-dance.png
    sample-dance.png
    97.3 KB · Views: 113

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
You can handle this two ways: Freeze the motion, or capture the motion. I think it'd be pretty hard to freeze the motion unless you fire a long burst...and then you might have to battle the light in this case. If you choose to capture the motion, you can use the low light to your advantage.

This isn't the best, but I'm thinking something along these lines.
3280285462_606a5f77e3.jpg

If you're just doing candids: Drag the shutter, loewr the flash power. And fire away. These should give a decently balanced shot without making the background all dark. The fastest lens you can find is best - maybe rent.

ie.
3242186361_14feb2bdca.jpg

3242997904_876a6f9d4b.jpg

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
Yeah...my running joke is that it's not a dance, as much as it is a social gathering. More candids than action by far. I'll try that then. The sample was in really low light with a horrible ceiling to bounce light off of. But I have a working idea and I think if I can just get the light lowered enough I could get some good ones.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
The last two shots above was in a nightclub, so the lighting was practically near-zero, except for the occasional coloured effects. So in a school dance, it should be fine - similar conditions I'm guessing. Basically, don't rely on their light, control yours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.