Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
I LOVE Dark mode.....but NOT in every app. For example.....the Photos App looks great in Dark Mode, but it is tiresome to use the "Mail" app in Dark Mode.

Now before everybody says get the "Night Owl" I have a question about that. I think Night Owl is sort of just a always there toggle toolbar that makes switching from Light to Dark convenient without having to go to settings each time??

What I am looking for is a way to PERMANENTLY keep my "Photos" in Dark Mode.....and PERMANENTLY keep my "MAIL" app in Light Mode. Is there such an app? Night Owl is good.....but the constant toggling is in itself, a real tiresome activity.

Any Dark Mode App recommendations? And Why?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Dang, can't try it to help you out.
Riding a 2008 Unibody Macbook between the failed i9 and before my Mini arrives, so no darkmode for me

Reactions: jusacruiser

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
Ploki.....Thanks for trying! I may have figured it out, but it's not perfect. My "Mail" app is basically Dark Mode.....except for the actual email itself.

Reactions: Ploki

boxxyfied

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2014
Ploki.....Thanks for trying! I may have figured it out, but it's not perfect. My "Mail" app is basically Dark Mode.....except for the actual email itself.

maybe a bug- but i wanted the same. tried night owl. got the per app change to mail (I didn't like the memory usage although minimal- my own thing), didn't change the setting, uninstalled and mailed stayed in LIGHT mode since.

might change or something with an update but I'm sure there's a setting change allowance like all other terminal changes.

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
You can set an Info.plist flag for that specific app. See this thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/forcing-third-party-applications-to-use-dark-mode.2134382/

The applet that I posted will allow you to force light/dark mode in a given app from a GUI.
I'm afraid to start tinkering with code. I may want to switch back and forth from app to app, and dynamic to dynamic, etc. I will simply find a better app than NightOwl, or wait for Night Owl to make their app better.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
I'm afraid to start tinkering with code. I may want to switch back and forth from app to app, and dynamic to dynamic, etc. I will simply find a better app than NightOwl, or wait for Night Owl to make their app better.
What is wrong with Night Owl? You need to restart the Mail app before it uses the forced light mode, but it works quite well.
Screenshot 2018-12-25 15.02.57.png

jusacruiser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 15, 2009
Palm Beach, Florida
I have a (no guarantees) graphical tool to do the switch if you would like. Link
Thanks for the offer. I am going to just let it be for now.
[doublepost=1545797193][/doublepost]
What is wrong with Night Owl? You need to restart the Mail app before it uses the forced light mode, but it works quite well.
View attachment 812645
I had restarted the mail app several times. The email itself was white, but the sidebar, menu bar, and everything else still was dark.

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
Thanks for the offer. I am going to just let it be for now.
[doublepost=1545797193][/doublepost]
I had restarted the mail app several times. The email itself was white, but the sidebar, menu bar, and everything else still was dark.
Huh. I tried it with a few apps (like Word) and they worked but I never tried it with Mail. Mail also doesn't work for me, probably will be fixed in the next update.

I mostly keep it on sunset mode so I didn't see it not working with specific apps.

Reactions: jusacruiser

Starfia

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2011
What I am looking for is a way to PERMANENTLY keep my "Photos" in Dark Mode.....and PERMANENTLY keep my "MAIL" app in Light Mode. Is there such an app? Night Owl is good.....but the constant toggling is in itself, a real tiresome activity.

Just because this hasn't been mentioned, it seems obligatory to point out that Mail, TextEdit and Notes (and some other apps) have a designated option to keep the primary content – for example, mail messages – on a light background even when the system-wide appearance is set to dark.

shafez

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
United States
Good news I hope, I just found out that a Utility called Deeper made by Titanium Software which makes Onyx have a setting for intermediate dark mode which is equivalent to Sierra and High Sierra dark mode.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 12.17.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 12.17.54 AM.png
    205.9 KB · Views: 292
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.