Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jman240

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2009
You can use the tint option to affect all app icons even third party. Takes some doing but you can get a decent grey too.

Reactions: marteletell

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2011
United States
Can’t even get mine to work, the icons are dark in the app switcher, but not on the Home Screen, my widgets are also light and the system theme is dark lol

• Haha
Reactions: f12003_ga

shenfrey

macrumors 68030
May 23, 2010
The icons really do clash. I can think of a few apps that will probably never get a proper dark mode icon (looking at you, bank app).
If it's anything like Android, you're absolutely right. Many developers refuse to allow their icons to be changed.

Reactions: mikkker007

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
Is this true? If so, very sadly...

its not, every year many apps "get updates for next ios" weeks, sometimes months before release.. and no they dont get pulled either.
They can technically make "updates for the new iOS" but they're not allowed to use iOS 18 specific APIs until September. Because iOS 17 doesn't have a dark mode icon feature there's no way for devs to add dark mode icon assets early.

flexwithmarius

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2022
They need to do something about the App Store icon.
The marketing previews showed the new dark icon. It wasn’t included in this build for whatever reason.

1718333258341.jpeg

geneo

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2022
They can technically make "updates for the new iOS" but they're not allowed to use iOS 18 specific APIs until September. Because iOS 17 doesn't have a dark mode icon feature there's no way for devs to add dark mode icon assets early.

I find that a little hard to believe. People will still be updating their apps in IOS 17 after September. What is going to happen to them? They surely can conditionalize their code.

I wish they had an option for transparent backgrounds on the icons in addition to dark.

Last edited:

Paddle1

macrumors 603
May 1, 2013
I find that a little hard to believe. People will still be updating their apps in IOS 17 after September. What is going to happen to them? They surely can conventionalize their code.

I wish they had an option for transparent backgrounds on the icons in addition to dark.
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Apps will still be able to work on iOS 17, they just won't have access to the iOS 18 exclusive features.

flexwithmarius

macrumors regular
Dec 9, 2022
I find that a little hard to believe. People will still be updating their apps in IOS 17 after September. What is going to happen to them? They surely can conventionalize their code.

They can issue all the updates they want. But the new app icon features are exclusive to iOS 18. iOS 17 will simply ignore the dark mode/greyscale parameters and you’ll have the normal “light mode” icon.

geneo

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2022
They can issue all the updates they want. But the new app icon features are exclusive to iOS 18. iOS 17 will simply ignore the dark mode/greyscale parameters and you’ll have the normal “light mode” icon.

You misunderstood what I was saying. I meant that there is no technical reason why developers can't release their apps with dark mode right now for the 18 betas, as long as the apple interface for this is stable.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Is it only me or Widgets page widgets are not following the dark mode?
Previously Sleep / Reminders and background of 8 Shortcuts had darker background, now it's either WHITE or not matching grey to the rest of interface...

Someone reported it already?

My eyes cries when I see widgets page and turning Dark tint for icons is not a solution I would like to have... or I am dumb and somehow I can select dark stock widgets apart from dark tint (coloring)? :D

Edit: reported as FB13987184

Attachments

• IMG_4371.png
    IMG_4371.png
    494.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4372.png
    IMG_4372.png
    411.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

fakestrawberryflavor

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2021
Is it only me or Widgets page widgets are not following the dark mode?
Previously Sleep / Reminders and background of 8 Shortcuts had darker background, now it's either WHITE or not matching grey to the rest of interface...

Someone reported it already?

My eyes cries when I see widgets page and turning Dark tint for icons is not a solution I would like to have... or I am dumb and somehow I can select dark stock widgets apart from dark tint (coloring)? :D

Edit: reported as FB13987184
Your widgets turn dark, when your icons turn dark. Your widgets turn light, when your icons are light.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.