Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
Did you spot any dark areas on your iPhone 7 screen when you got it (areas that are darker against a white background)?

Did you live with these or return your unit because of them?

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
Pretty much all units suffer from this to some degree..
I have personally never seen an iPhone with 100% even brightness.
Mine is also darker on top (6S)

Reactions: janeauburn

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
Top left on mine, but also overall darker on top 1/3.
Don't waste your time and nerves trying to get a perfect one- they simply don't exist, at least for now with current limitation of the displays technology..
May be the next models will use OLED displays...

Reactions: janeauburn

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
I've seen one 7 Plus screen that's close to perfect and several others that had noticeable darker spots/areas from the outset.

Last edited:

miragebg

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2009
On 7 Plus - may be... but on regular 7/6S I have never seen a perfect screen. They are all suffering from yellow band on bottom, darker areas on top left/right, color variances on left compared to right and so on..

Reactions: imagineadam

janeauburn

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 22, 2015
There's an app out there called DispTestPat (Display Test Pattern) that lets you put a solid color up on the screen to test this out.

Jormvngandr

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2016
Had a pinkish tinge on the bottom left area of my 7 Plus, went to Apple Store and they replaced my display. I was actually wishing for a swap but was out of 14-day period, so had to settle for that.

New screen doesn't have that pink tint but it still is uneven, with right part being a little bit darker than the left. Nobody around me has a 7 or 7 Plus so I can't compare mine with anyone's unfortunately.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Had a pinkish tinge on the bottom left area of my 7 Plus, went to Apple Store and they replaced my display. I was actually wishing for a swap but was out of 14-day period, so had to settle for that.

New screen doesn't have that pink tint but it still is uneven, with right part being a little bit darker than the left. Nobody around me has a 7 or 7 Plus so I can't compare mine with anyone's unfortunately.
I have a pinkish tinge on my 4.7 in the upper left quad of the screen. It's more noticeable at certain times of the day and at different brightness levels but it's clearly there. Also I have a glowing brighter yellowish band on the bottom and I believe it's LCD bleed. The whole top half is slightly dimmer than the bottom. LED's are at the bottom this time.

Did the guys notice the pinkish tint right away or did they give you a hard time? I'm thinking about trying to get a replacement but I'm afraid of getting a worse one.

Here's a link that is a good read about led tv's and the same applies to our iPhone screens. It truly is a lottery to get a "good" one!

http://technitoys.com/edge-lit-tvs-are-like-a-box-of-chocolates/

If you read the trusted reviews review of the 7 the reviewer points out having a pinkish tinge to whites too on his screen..

http://www.trustedreviews.com/iphone-7-review-screen-and-speakers-page-2

Jormvngandr

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2016
Did the guys notice the pinkish tint right away or did they give you a hard time? I'm thinking about trying to get a replacement but I'm afraid of getting a worse one.

Here's a link that is a good read about led tv's and the same applies to our iPhone screens. It truly is a lottery to get a "good" one!

They actually "were not able to verify" it but I asked a few people around me waiting at the Bar and those people managed to see what I was talking about. If this is the only problem you have, the chances are they will try to replace your display instead of the whole unit as well.

I think we are more prone to noticing this because of the bigger screen size, at least in my case I am. Never noticed a similar problem with my old iPhone 5.

From what I gathered in the second review that guy is probably talking about a general pink tint over all the whites, not like our specific problems constrained to a certain part or corner of the screen. My replaced display doesn't have that anymore, but like you said this is a complete lottery, which ideally shouldn't be.

daffie

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
Holland
How does my 7+ screen uniformity look? I think it's quite OK...

c928506cde90466093263b5d6c4ab8ce.jpg

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009

I still think it's difficult to tell from a photograph.

I just took a face-on pic of my screen and the photo looks totally different from how the screen appears in real life. The real-life screen looks completely uniform while the photo shows darker areas in some places.

Jormvngandr

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2016

As Gathomblipoob mentioned, it's very difficult to say whether there is a problem or not. It may look different irl but it looks ok from the photo.

nickelro

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2013

Judging by this photo alone I clearly see a little shadow on the bottom left of horizontal edge & a slightly yellow tint in the opposite corner (top right).. just my 2 cents

daffie

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2010
Holland
Cheers all. I'm aware it's difficult to tell from a photo. Best I could do really, or else we would have to meet somewhere for coffee ;)

My feeling is the screen is pretty decent...I have no real issues with it. So all's fine.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Top left on mine, but also overall darker on top 1/3.
Don't waste your time and nerves trying to get a perfect one- they simply don't exist, at least for now with current limitation of the displays technology..
May be the next models will use OLED displays...
The technology thing is a myth. My Samsung tablet and Xperia XZ both have utterly flawless LCD displays. The problem is either Apple's QC, or they source poor quality displays.

Jormvngandr

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2016
Cheers all. I'm aware it's difficult to tell from a photo. Best I could do really, or else we would have to meet somewhere for coffee ;)

My feeling is the screen is pretty decent...I have no real issues with it. So all's fine.

Lol imagine a bunch of people checking out each other's phones with blank pages at a cafe.

Reactions: Gathomblipoob

lakaiordie

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2008
Judging by this photo alone I clearly see a little shadow on the bottom left of horizontal edge & a slightly yellow tint in the opposite corner (top right).. just my 2 cents

it could be your monitor is not properly calibrated also.

kiki lala

Suspended
Oct 15, 2016
I just found a new #gate. do anyone here found any dust under the screen? easy, just put a torchlight on the iPhone 7 screen when black, then will see all those dust stuck inside the screen. when you turn it on most that close to the LED screen will turn black dot. When iPhone turn off those dust color is white when torchlight on it, but when iPhone turn on will be black. mine have 3 spots LoL. I thought iPhone 7 is dust and water resistant.

Reactions: myrtlebee

Gathomblipoob

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I just found a new #gate. do anyone here found any dust under the screen? easy, just put a torchlight on the iPhone 7 screen when black, then will see all those dust stuck inside the screen. when you turn it on most that close to the LED screen will turn black dot. When iPhone turn off those dust color is white when torchlight on it, but when iPhone turn on will be black. mine have 3 spots LoL. I thought iPhone 7 is dust and water resistant.

How many threads are you going to post this in?!

nickelro

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2013
I only got two little specks of dust under the glass of my camera, on both my wide angle and telephoto modules - one speck in front of each lens; I can live with those, as long as they don't affect photos. But I remember dust between glass and screen on my previous 6s Plus which was swapped by Apple under warranty, and that I couldn't live with...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.