Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
hi all,

Due to the fact i was trying to install high sierra on my macbook (macbook 6,1 -late 2009)
i moved some files on an old external WD passport hdd with usb connection.

It seems this hdd now, after HSierra install is not showing contents at all.
It shows capacity used/free correctly. Sometimes, does not eject at all and even disk utility
cannot unmount it.

force eject always works though...

When i open a finder/ file manager window and switch to the external hdd, the usb icon flashing on the disk case, then stops and no contents/ file listing appears on the window i opened for this hard disk.

Can you suggest recovery software for mac that will allow me to mount and read the hard disk and show contents, on window, rather than open a search screen, asking what to recover ie pics videos etc. so i will have total control of what is listed in contents and move it to a new hdd ?

thanks.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Important questions:
What format is the external drive?
Can you take it to another Mac and mount it and see the files?
If it was in a "PC format", can you take it to a PC and mount it and see the files?

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
format is extended journaled.

i can see the files from time to time, when i try to move/ copy them the system crashes.
i read the mac disk under windows 7. under mac disk mounts but shows no files...

i try to figure out a way to take the files outta there.... but possibly recovery is option

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.