Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mburtis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
I just purchased a new in box 2016 macbook from Woot. It was for my 13yo daughter, and was a good deal for what she needed.

When it arrived, the laptop was at 0% charge. I had it plugged in for about 7 hours at work while I was setting it up and didn't notice until I took it home that it was still at 0%. Sure enough, it's displaying a message that the battery needs to be replaced. System info shows that it has only had 4 cycles.

I assume that this happened because the battery was left dead in the computer for a long time. I'm trying to see if I can get Woot to cover some/all of a replacement battery, but before I do that I wanted to check if this sends up any other red flags? Should I be concerned about other stuff wrong in terms of electrical/charging on this laptop besides a DOA battery?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Does the magsafe plug EVER change from green to amber/orange? Or does it simply stay green while plugged in?
Have you tried both an NVRAM and an SMC reset?

Reactions: SnacksGU

mburtis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
I tried an SMC and PRAM reset with no luck. I will say it was hard to do them because the battery is at zero - getting it to startup takes some time.

Also, it's not a magsafe charger. It's USB-C.

mburtis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2018
I can return within 30 days. In the end, I've gotten a refund to cover the cost of the battery replacement for this model. I've gone ahead and made an Apple Store appointment for Monday and I'm going to ask them to do a full check on the system to make sure it isn't anything the batter replacement. If it is, I'm going to return it.

Thanks for the advice and reality check.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.