Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a643

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Bought the iPod Classic in 2014 right when it was discontinued. I've never dropped it, the thing barely has any scratches, its pins are all intact, and everything is fine from the outside.

I hadn't used it for about a month, during which time it was charging on the nightstand. Decided to use it today but the thing is dead - a completely black screen, nothing happens when I plug it in anywhere, reset doesn't work, and the Genius Bar couldn't do anything. It's not recognized as a drive on the computer and doesn't show up on iTunes

Any suggestions? Is there a way to tell if there is an issue with the hard drive or logic board specifically? Or is it an issue of it being in the charge for too long.

Help! And thanks!

Tritto

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2014
First thing to try would be replacing the battery. Two years is a pretty short battery life, but it can't be discounted.
I had one go and it gave me plenty of signs the battery was failing over the space of a week, then one day it just stopped and gave me nothing. Perhaps yours was failing too but you didn't notice while it was unused for a month. Good news is that a battery is cheap and fairly easy to replace with care. Buy a battery that comes with a kit of spudgers and various tools to help you prise it open.
I replaced my battery and it's been fine since, and I'm about to embark on the same journey with another one that just up and died on me last week (yes, I have multiple classics).

a643

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
First thing to try would be replacing the battery. Two years is a pretty short battery life, but it can't be discounted.
I had one go and it gave me plenty of signs the battery was failing over the space of a week, then one day it just stopped and gave me nothing. Perhaps yours was failing too but you didn't notice while it was unused for a month. Good news is that a battery is cheap and fairly easy to replace with care. Buy a battery that comes with a kit of spudgers and various tools to help you prise it open.
I replaced my battery and it's been fine since, and I'm about to embark on the same journey with another one that just up and died on me last week (yes, I have multiple classics).

Hi Tritto, thanks for the response. I have another theory about the iPod's death - which might or might not exclude the battery as the source of the problem.

During that one month time where it wasn't used, the 'Pod was plugged into the wall. It wasn't at any point unplugged. About a week before it died, I believe there was a power outage in my area - is it possible that whatever problem the iPod has is a result of a potential power surge?

Tritto

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2014
I guess it's always possible. I've had a classic in a dock on constant charge for years and it never suffered from a power outage or surge, but maybe I was lucky. If a power surge killed it I reckon there is nothing you can do for it.
So, apart from changing the battery, there is a second option. Apple still offers out of warranty replacements for the last generation of 160gb iPods. It used to be about $99, but they seem to have jacked it up to $299US! I guess they've figured out there is actually a market for these things. Battery replacement service is much cheaper though. If you don't fancy dong it yourself you could ask Apple to do it for you.

blackjackmark

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
I had the same thing happen, then I tried a different cable, Turns out the battery was dead and the cable I had been using was bad.

But you said you took it to Genius Bar, did they try plugging it in?

a643

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
I had the same thing happen, then I tried a different cable, Turns out the battery was dead and the cable I had been using was bad.

But you said you took it to Genius Bar, did they try plugging it in?

Yes, and nothing happened. Can also confirm using another device that the cable is NOT bad.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.