Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gourav Bommala

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2018
Germany
I'm a dedicated Mac user for 5 years and have been addicted to my MBP 13" mid '12 2.5GHz model. I updated it to 500 GB SSD in March'17.
on a doomsday in Nov'17, after regular use i turned of my MBP and from the next day on, it refused to turn on. Not charging, no sleep light, no battery indication, no fan sound, completely dead.

---Apple store in Germany declared that my logic board was is dead and needs to be replaced (700€
1f62e.png
:O)---
Brought the unrepaired dead MBP home and left beside a window for 2 months untouched.

March '18, randomly I checked before throwing it away, it started working normally without any problem.
1f642.png
:)

It was extremely hard for me to believe, but it is a fact.
Any of you had a similar issue? Does anyone have an idea what would have had the problem, which repaired itself after 4 months?

Suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,
Gourav

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
One guess would be that there's a part or connection that is expanding/contracting with temperature. If that's the situation there's a good chance the failure will happen again.

Reactions: Glmnet1

Gourav Bommala

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2018
Germany
Hi Brian,
Thanks for the reply.
Even I'm worried of the same. Immediately installed TG pro. Since 4 days, I'm continuously monitoring the temperatures. Nothings works suspective. Hardware test showed no problems.
Do you have an idea of where this crucial component on Mother board would be? which part can be so susceptible of temperature?

Regards,
Gourav

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Just an idea .....but could this have something to do with a connection coming loose at the SSD or power supply? Again, just guessing.
[doublepost=1520969134][/doublepost]Per above: said connection re-connecting when you moved it to the window sill?

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Probably a connector issue which means you've upgraded from "hard failure" to "intermittant failure"...only time will tell but its quite likely it will reoccur as once connections cause this, 99% they come back without positive action being taken - which could just be a reseat of all the logic board and battery connections.

maerz001

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Do you have an idea of where this crucial component on Mother board would be? which part can be so susceptible of temperature?

Regards,
Gourav

Any soldered point, any IC, any connection.
So forget about finding it via some questions on the internet.
Either hope that it stays alive or buy a new board

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I'm a dedicated Mac user for 5 years and have been addicted to my MBP 13" mid '12 2.5GHz model. I updated it to 500 GB SSD in March'17.
on a doomsday in Nov'17, after regular use i turned of my MBP and from the next day on, it refused to turn on. Not charging, no sleep light, no battery indication, no fan sound, completely dead.

---Apple store in Germany declared that my logic board was is dead and needs to be replaced (700€
1f62e.png
:O)---
Brought the unrepaired dead MBP home and left beside a window for 2 months untouched.

March '18, randomly I checked before throwing it away, it started working normally without any problem.
1f642.png
:)

It was extremely hard for me to believe, but it is a fact.
Any of you had a similar issue? Does anyone have an idea what would have had the problem, which repaired itself after 4 months?

Suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,
Gourav

I had an OSX update that did this to my machine then it rebooted fine a few hours later and never had a problem again.

Gourav Bommala

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2018
Germany
Just an idea .....but could this have something to do with a connection coming loose at the SSD or power supply? Again, just guessing.
[doublepost=1520969134][/doublepost]Per above: said connection re-connecting when you moved it to the window sill?

Hi Blowback,

Thank you for the reply. I've unplugged the SSD few times after it was dead. Apple store, dismantled the complete mac, throughly cleaned and returned it back saying Logic board problem.

-Gourav
[doublepost=1521139096][/doublepost]
Sounds like it could be an SMC-related issue to me. For lack of any other option that’s costless, I would do an SMC reset if it happens again.

https://support.apple.com/HT201295
Yeah i did it after, it took a rebirth :)
[doublepost=1521139387][/doublepost]Any idea regarding the capacitor's charge? it might have been full, and didn't let the Electricity pass through the logic board pointing a logic board failure?
After it was laying untouched probably the, capacitors went blank and things are working fine----??

-Gourav

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.