Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
Is this a dead pixel on the sensor? It's in the same place in all my recent photos. Or is it dust?

What can I do at this point? (Canon XTi)

Edit: other, I mean, than ignore it because it's insignificant.

Attachments

• Deap Pixel?.jpg
    Deap Pixel?.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 402

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
i'm not sure about this now. i have some faint memory that i heard that cameras check automatically for hot pixels on the chip and map them out. you just have to trigger the process. i thought on the sony it's done every few hours or so automatically. maybe a website or tech manual can give you information how to reset the camera.

sorry, i don't remember much more than that. try dpreview.com

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
i'm not sure about this now. i have some faint memory that i heard that cameras check automatically for hot pixels on the chip and map them out. you just have to trigger the process. i thought on the sony it's done every few hours or so automatically. maybe a website or tech manual can give you information how to reset the camera.

sorry, i don't remember much more than that. try dpreview.com

Thanks for the suggestion!

Here's what I found (just in case it helps anyone else):

I took a photo with my lens cap on, manual mode 1/4s, ISO100 and verified the hot pixel's there. With the lens still on, I went to manual (not auto) sensor cleaning in the XTi menu, started the procedure, I could hear the mirror flip up, I counted 5 seconds and turned the XTi off. Turned the XTi back on and with the lens cap still on, took another manual 1/4s, ISO100 shot and another at ISO1600. The red hot pixel is gone!

Seems to have done the trick, although at ISO 1600 there are a number of little dark gray dots, including, I think, in the place where this one was (at ISO 200 in actual pictures). Still, a vast improvement.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Seems to have done the trick, although at ISO 1600 there are a number of little dark gray dots, including, I think, in the place where this one was (at ISO 200 in actual pictures). Still, a vast improvement.

Awesome! I'd expect to see some anomalies at ISO1600. It's reasonably noisy on the 400D (for an SLR, it's mile ahead of a P&S). Those grey dots are not an issue with the sensor: they are probably being caused by some very minor fluctuations in the amps.

Crawn2003

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2005
Santa Rosa, California
A long, long, long time ago I had a P&S Olympus. I think it was like a 1.3 megapixel camera, and I had this exact problem! Blue and red pixels showing up in the photographs. I called Olympus and they said it was probably a problem with the sensor, dead pixel or what not, so I sent it back to them and they sent me a new one (I want to say) overnight.

~Crawn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.