Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sewnowwhat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
Banbury
Hi all,

I appreciate you may have answered this question before and I apologise if so.

I have managed to elbow my cup of tea and spill it all over my 2007 macbook. Can you tell me, if it is now completely dead (which it probably is after reading some info on t'interwebs, how I could hook up the hard drive to pull off the data on there? Can I convert it to an external hard drive? It's a 1TB SSHD that I had retrofitted. If so, how would I go about it? CAn you point me in the direction of some good tutorials?

Many thanks in advance

Dwayne82

macrumors member
May 16, 2015
Switzerland
Before you try to do anything: Buy something like this. Take the hard drive out of your MB, dry and clean it if wet (especially the connectors), put it on the cord, plug it into another mac and safe your data.
For the little chance to reanimate your MB (iFixit is your best friend for the following steps): Open it, disconnect the battery, then clean the electronic-boards very carefully with methylated spirit and q-tips. You have to take out almost every single piece, don't touch the circuits on the boards, only hold it at the edges. Don't lay the boards on anything that could take static energy, if you have antistatic-Bags, use them to lay the Boards on them. If you cleaned all (including the keyboard and the case) leave it disassembled at least 24h in a dry, warm room. With very very much luck, when you reassemble it, it could work again.

Last edited:

igmgentry

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2016
Ellijay, GA
Are you talking about the A1181 MacBook? If so the drive is extremely easy to remove and will pop right into any external SATA enclosure. Those have gotten cheap enough now that you could probably snag a new logic board and keyboard for under 100 bucks on ebay, if it really means that much to you.

sewnowwhat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2016
Banbury
Once I've removed and attached the hard drive, CanI safe my data from a Windows PC? If so how?

EDIT: Ignore the above, I worked out how to get it viewable and it is currently saving.

In reply to igmgentry: No, it's not particularly that I'm attached to it. but I am a touch short of money and I really like the macbook for pretty much everything that windows is crap at.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.