Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Creepitor

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 4, 2016
When your battery died there are apparently 2 different screens, as you can see on the pictures. Does anyone know what’s the difference or why there are 2 different screens? When my battery is death I just want to be able to get the time-screen instead of the image of that charger, does anyone know how to switch from the one to the other? Thanks!
IMG_9464.JPG
IMG_9463.JPG

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
  1. Your :apple:Watch is functioning in Power Reserve mode (it will just show the time) and needs charger to function normally
  2. Completely dead and can't even turn on in Power Reserve mode

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Please correct me if I’m wrong.

So when you’re battery initially dies (let’s say 1%), your Apple Watch will automatically hop into Power Reserve mode, where it is still able to display the time.
Next when the battery reaches a critically low level (let’s say 0,1%), your Apple Watch does not have enough energy left to compute the time, so it’ll show the image of your charger.
Am I right?
:apple:Watch will NOT automatically go into Power Reserve mode. At 10% it will ask if you want to switch it into Power Reserve mode but YOU must switch it. You just dismiss and it will keep going as normal until it dies. You can also switch into Power Reserve mode anytime by swiping up. If you with into Power Reserve mode above 10% (or lower percentage???) you will not see the lighting bolt.

Again if you see the puck symbol the ONLY thing you can do is charge it.

IMO Power Reserve mode is worthless and even a hindrance since clocks are everywhere. I don't really see any use case for it unless you are stuck in the woods without your iPhone and NEED to know the time.

I wish it could be turn off since if you accidentally switch it on you must power cycle to get back to a REAL :apple:Watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newtons Apple

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Now I am really confused.

When the battery of my Apple Watch dies, I do NOT get the image of the charger (the one on the second picture), the first time I noticed it was yesterday. Every single time my Apple Watch shuts off because of low battery level, it goes into this mode where it can tell me the time.

I never have to go into settings to activate Power Reserve mode or anything like that, when my Apple Watch’s battery gets to a critically low level, the Apple Watch shuts itself automatically off to this mode where, whenever I press the side button, it displays me the time with a red lightning bolt on the side, as you can see on the first picture.

I have no clue why or since when there are apparently 2 different interfaces, but I have no explanation.
Sorry, I did answer slightly incorrectly just going off memory. When the :apple:Watch reaches >1% it will die and switch into Power Reserve mode WITH the lightning bolt showing that you NEED to charge. If you switch into Power Reserve mode at 10% or before it 'dies' you won't see the lightning bolt. However at the point when you see the lightning bolt you have very little Power Reserve mode left and you SHOULD charge ASAP. If you DON'T charge SOON then it will run completely dead (or as completely as Apple allows) and Power Reserve mode will no longer work and you will get the puck WARNING which is condition critical for recharging.

So in nutshell:

1. Normal operation
  2. User switched Power Reserve mode above 1% (no lightning bolt)
  3. Battery dies/Power Reserve mode/lightning bolt indicates need to charge ASAP
  4. Battery is completely dead and puck is shown as condition critical for charging

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.