Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dtomasch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2019
Washigton, DC
I have a 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) with 1TB SSD and 16GB RAM.

It's always been quite fast and it was basally the top-of-the-line model from that model run.

But semi recently, it's be SLOOWWW.

In particular, text input has been slow.

Key combos take longer to activate then usual; there's a noticeable delay.

When I try to activate Alfred, I end up typing in weird places — I expect Alfred to be close enough to instant, and if there's any type of delay my text input just ends up where it's not supposed to.

I knew that it was something in my current user login.

If I switched to my wife's login or the guest login, I didn't have the same slow.

The slow would happen if I was under heavy load or not, didn't really matter what software I had running.

I looked for clues in Activity Monitor on regular basis, but I never quite figured out what was causing the delay.

I thought it might be some background app I have running that's still 32bit — but I couldn't seem to get to the bottom of it. And I did all the other typical debug actions, including the ones that don't actually do anything. No luck.

Finally, I just got fed up, and thought I'd just migrate all my apps and documents and settings to a new user account.

I've started the (manual) migration process. I'm pretty sure that my current user account goes back 15-20 years, following me to new Macs with Migration Assistant and such. So there's most likely a bunch of cruft in there anyway.

What am I forgetting?

Have any of you done this before?

Am I missing a technique or tool or method to figure out why I was having slows?

The new user account is super peppy again, which is great. I'm maybe half way thru migrating everything so still have work to do in order to be back to 100% (files, apps, license keys, etc.)

Discuss.

tl;dr: I had a slow user account. Create a new one. It's better. But I'm missing something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.