Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skibumofvt

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
I am really stuck between the D90 and 500D. I realize that the 500D has more megapixels, and better HD video quality. But I'm really stuck, I currently own a nikon D40 and was thinking about just upgrading my lenses since I only have the 18-55. But the D40 doesn't have the lens motor so wouldn't it cost me alot more to get nice lenses? I am also looking for a camera that shoots HD video for skiing, and time-lapses.

taintedwheat

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
You should do a search before you post a new thread because at least one other thread comes to mind in the comparison of these cameras.

To answer your question; it depends on whether you want a more professional or consumer feeling camera. The two probably have very similar image quality (the extra ~3 mp on the Canon is negligible) but the D90 is a prosumer grade camera, being a good deal larger than the 500D and having a dedicated display for EXIF data. The 500D has the exact same body as the 450D which may be too small for some. If you like the size of your D40, the 500D is probably a smidge bigger which you might like. It really depends on what you prefer.

Apr 10, 2007
Your going to get similar image quality from both cameras, but the D90 has a much more professional interface (more dedicated buttons, larger, ect.). If you're comfortable with the D40 than I would just go with the D90.

As for the price difference older lenses are normally alot cheaper than the newer lenses with built in focusing motors. And btw you do not need a video function for making time lapses, time lapse videos are made from a series of pictures not video.

noahc

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2005
I struggled with this same decision (and also considered, briefly, the D5000).

Ultimately I choose the T1i (500D). HD video was an important element of my decision, since I do plan to use this feature, as was the decision to apply some of the cost savings for the 500D (as small as they may be) on a second lens. I also liked the lighter weight of the 500D since I will primarily be using this for travel.

Since you already have a Nikon lens, I think the D90 is the obvious choice -- unless you really want to make the decision based on the video and weight issues as I did.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
More megapixels does not mean better and the 500D does 1080p only at 20fps: marketing.

thunderweb

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Bend OR
I personally would go with the D90. That's what I'm doing, I just like the Nikon way better than the Cannon. Go into like Best Buy or some place that you can compare them side to side and mess around with them. Find out which one you like more and go with that one.

MSM Hobbes

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2006
NE Hoosierana
Between these two choices, I'd go for the Nikon.

However, if ya could save up or expense a few hundred extra, I'd go for the Canon 50D. Have been quite proud owner of this camera for ~4 weeks, and am amazed at what it can do... there is much yet to learn and explore with this camera.

noahc

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2005
You all are choosing dSLR's based on its video performance? :eek:

:confused:

To clarify and provide the missing info -- and t I had 1 piece of Canon glass already -- so to not go with the Canon option was already an uphill battle. The better quality video and lighter weight of the Canon helped me me justify not making the additional investment in the D90, but it was not why I purchased the DSLR.

DeepCobalt

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Over and around
+1 for the D90. I just bought one and love it! I will also say that the higher Megapixels on the 500D make the kit lens that comes with it pretty weak...

modular

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2009
i vote for the canon. photo quality isnt really gonna be much of a difference. they're both great at taking photos. canon has much better video over nikon from the samples i've seen so far.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Nikon: better optics and just as good sensor. Whatever either one offers in video is a not a solution—just a marketing selling-point.

And I'm a Canon owner and that's from after playing around with Nikon cameras. I know what I'm getting next. :)

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
If I were in your position and didn't have much invested in a particular brands lenses/accessories I wait just a bit and take a look at the Pentax K-7.
That camera looks very interesting to me.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
Actually go with any of the brand that makes you happy, most people will recommend Canon or Nikon because of the lens expertise and how long they have been in the business and they seem to do well.

About the lenses, both Canon and Nikon lens are equally good especially the L lens or Nikon FX lenses, comparing between them is just being nitpicky cause the end result will still be stunning nonetheless.

So choose the brand you are happy with cause then it will be some sort of motivation to bring your camera around, you wont bring around things that you don't like right? :)

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Actually go with any of the brand that makes you happy, most people will recommend Canon or Nikon because of the lens expertise and how long they have been in the business and they seem to do well.

About the lenses, both Canon and Nikon lens are equally good especially the L lens or Nikon FX lenses, comparing between them is just being nitpicky cause the end result will still be stunning nonetheless.

So choose the brand you are happy with cause then it will be some sort of motivation to bring your camera around, you wont bring around things that you don't like right? :)
Good points.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
I was just in a situation of choosing my first DSLR (just have to get the time to go buy it now) and got some really great advice here:
A better body will not get you better pictures if you don't have the better lens to accompany it. So it is better (and cheaper) to just upgrade your lens for the D40.
About the video, the quality of the 500D might be better, but sound is really bad on all of them (at least from what I tried). The microphone is tiny and it easily picks up the sound of the lens when it's focusing. I was also thinking about the 500D for the video, but after that experience, the 250€ difference really isn't worth it. Better to put that toward a real HD camcorder.
So just something to think about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.