Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

berndkiltz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
Pfalz, Germany
Hey Everyone, I am in the Market for a new Mac. I have a maxed out 2014 Retina Imac. I am not very satisfied with the SSD speed (internal 256 SSD) especially, and I would like programms to open much faster.

And: The Computer is written off as an expense after 3 years, so to save tax a new one is a reasonable decision.

I am thinkin between a new iMac Std. 27" Maxed out (32 Gigs of ram is enough) with 1TB SSD or the new Imac Pro in Base config which is the most I will ever pay for a computer. At my Dealer, the iMac Pro is about 1500 Euro more expensive.

Is it worth it? Here is what I do:
- Make Instructional Videos in 4K for my Website with Premiere Pro
- Music Production (my Guitar Modelling Software Helix Native is VERY demanding. One instance takes about 15% of the current imacs CPU. Like to be able to use about 16 instances)
- Little Gaming (Starcraft 2 mainly but would like to play unreal/doom with good framerate too).

I dont want 2 Computers (so PC Gaming rig is out of the Question).

any suggestions, anyone talk me out of the iMac Pro? I must say I quite tempted... :)

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
Hey Everyone, I am in the Market for a new Mac. I have a maxed out 2014 Retina Imac. I am not very satisfied with the SSD speed (internal 256 SSD) especially, and I would like programms to open much faster.

And: The Computer is written off as an expense after 3 years, so to save tax a new one is a reasonable decision.

I am thinkin between a new iMac Std. 27" Maxed out (32 Gigs of ram is enough) with 1TB SSD or the new Imac Pro in Base config which is the most I will ever pay for a computer. At my Dealer, the iMac Pro is about 1500 Euro more expensive.

Is it worth it? Here is what I do:
- Music Production (my Guitar Modelling Software Helix Native is VERY demanding. One instance takes about 15% of the current imacs CPU. Like to be able to use about 16 instances)
- Little Gaming (Starcraft 2 mainly but would like to play unreal/doom with good framerate too).

I dont want 2 Computers (so PC Gaming rig is out of the Question).

any suggestions, anyone talk me out of the iMac Pro? I must say I quite tempted... :)

Why do you think your ssd speed is the issue here, your computer already has sustained read write speeds 3 times that of a standard SATA 3 connected ssd. I can’t see that the newer ones while faster will make any real world difference opening apps.

BlueTide

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2007
Silicon Valley, CA
I am very tempted too even if my own rational mind says no. iMac Pro 10-Core looks so inviting. :p Let’s see if emotion or reason prevails.

At least in my use for light video and photography, iMac Pro gives very little. Not all video tasks really need all that much, esp if it’s not done often enough.

Don’t know about your music production, but other than that I bet the std would be fine.

berndkiltz

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2010
Pfalz, Germany
Why do you think your ssd speed is the issue here, your computer already has sustained read write speeds 3 times that of a standard SATA 3 connected ssd. I can’t see that the newer ones while faster will make any real world difference opening apps.
The 2014 Imac has much slower SSD speed. It should be around 700 from the specs, but i only get around 400. 420 with my 2 TB ssd sitting in a usb 3 casing.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
The 2014 Imac has much slower SSD speed. It should be around 700 from the specs, but i only get around 400. 420 with my 2 TB ssd sitting in a usb 3 casing.

That’s because it’s limited by using an external in a usb 3 casing, the internal ssd option for that machine came with 700 speed and that was PCIe connected direct to the motherboard, you are using a cable connected usb 3 external running through a usb bus to boot apps from what do you expect?

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark

I know the most about video so that's what I'll address. 4K in itself can consume a hell of a lot of compute power. However, you can always edit with proxy files linked to source media, and through that method you don't really need that powerful hardware to edit. Exporting might take long, but the editing process should be smooth.

I'd say it's mostly a question of what you're willing to spend. Both iMacs are good computers that I'd call reasonably priced. But if you get the standard 27" model, I recommend not getting the RAM from Apple, as you can save a bit of money inserting it yourself. It's easy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.