Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slix

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Happy holidays everyone!

I rediscovered these last year, but I thought I'd share them with you guys since it's December, and Christmas and snow is around the corner!

MacLampsX is a neat program that allows you to have strings of lights on your desktop, or on top of your windows when you're using your Mac. You can customize it with what types of lights or holly you want, and whether you want it to display on screensavers and other things like that. Version 2.0 works on G3s running Tiger all the way to High Sierra!

LotsaSnow version 1.2 is also compatible with Tiger, but doesn't work on the newer macOS. It's a snowflake screensaver that is customizable with colors for the background and to show it with a clock if you want.

I'm currently running both of these on my Power Mac G4 500 MHz, however when MacLampsX is running and it switches to screensaver it slows the screensaver to a halt.

I also have an app that my dad got way back but I can't seem to find it online anywhere. It's simply titled Snowflakes, and it just lets you see falling snowflakes on your desktop. I'll upload it for posterity here. If anyone has the original webpage of it, please let me know!

Here are some photos!

Does anyone else have any neat holiday themed apps for PowerPC Macs?

Picture 7.png
Picture 8.png
Picture 9.png

Attachments

• Snowflakes.zip
    57.3 KB · Views: 290

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Happy holidays everyone!

I rediscovered these last year, but I thought I'd share them with you guys since it's December, and Christmas and snow is around the corner!

MacLampsX is a neat program that allows you to have strings of lights on your desktop, or on top of your windows when you're using your Mac. You can customize it with what types of lights or holly you want, and whether you want it to display on screensavers and other things like that. Version 2.0 works on G3s running Tiger all the way to High Sierra!

LotsaSnow version 1.2 is also compatible with Tiger, but doesn't work on the newer macOS. It's a snowflake screensaver that is customizable with colors for the background and to show it with a clock if you want.

I'm currently running both of these on my Power Mac G4 500 MHz, however when MacLampsX is running and it switches to screensaver it slows the screensaver to a halt.

I also have an app that my dad got way back but I can't seem to find it online anywhere. It's simply titled Snowflakes, and it just lets you see falling snowflakes on your desktop. I'll upload it for posterity here. If anyone has the original webpage of it, please let me know!

Here are some photos!

Does anyone else have any neat holiday themed apps for PowerPC Macs?

View attachment 742446 View attachment 742447 View attachment 742448

I know what I’ll be doing this week :)

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
Heck yeah. Pizza to be exact. Big tasty slices of NYC style crumbled Itslian sausage pie while stringing up Christmas lights on my ppcs.

:)

You lucky, sadistic b@$t@rd.

I've got a gluten allergy... :(

Slix

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
I was reminded of this today, and couldn't remember if I posted a topic about it! :p

I'm going to deck out my Macs this week with these apps again, and try to find a Santa hat for my iMac...

Also as an update, it appears that MacLampsX works fine with Mojave.

Reactions: Traace and AphoticD

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
@Slix, thank you so much telling about MacLampsX!
While it's raining cats and dogs outside a little bit Xmas feeling came up at work.
Just great - entering the room with the screensaver blinking and snowing and singing ...
"Rudolph, Rudolph ..." Haha, had a lot of fun!!!
Winterwonderland.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.