Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atomicfission92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
Hey Guys,

I want to get a flash for my Panasonic G1. I have found a couple different products which I think may work for me as far as features and price range.

I found the:
Olympus FL-36R
Metz 48 AF-1
Metz 36 AF
Vivitar 383 (I think, wasn't too sure about the models from them)
and there was a few extras as well but I can't find them in my bookmarks right now.

I am trying to stay 'Around' the $200 mark for a flash. I figure at that price point it will give me the features I want now and some room to grow in the future. I really don't have any experience with the flashes. I was looking for something that has a fast recharge time and something that isn't going to be too overbearing when I mount it to my G1. I have been looking closely at the Metz 48 AF-1 as it seems to be a good bang for the buck, but I'm really just guessing. So that's now why I am asking, Which one? Which one would you personally buy and why?

Thanks in advance for any help on this. I plan on purchasing within the next few days and just have to round up my decision before then so I can start price shopping and such.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
i don't think any of those other than the Olympus will work in the hotshoe. the FL-36R will work, but you lose wireless functionality (if you care), according to this site.

Atomicfission92

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 18, 2009
i don't think any of those other than the Olympus will work in the hotshoe. the FL-36R will work, but you lose wireless functionality (if you care), according to this site.

I am pretty sure any of those that I listed will work. I had seen many a thread about using the Metz or vivitar or a few others with the g1. As long as they are Olympus /panasonic comparable they should work just fine with the g1. That's what I have read this far. If someone knows different please let me know.

Quote from another site showing that other flashes other then the Panny and Olympus works with the G1
"I am using a Metz 48 AF-1 flash with my G1. It works perfectly, has bounce and swivel, and a zoom head that communicates with the 14-45 and 45-200 Lumix lenses."

Now I just have to find out what one to purchase.

NightGeometry

macrumors regular
Apr 11, 2004
For off camera use you could just get a radio trigger from Hong Kong (check ebay, mine cost around £6), but you'd want to check that whatever you get can be set manually.

I know nothing about flash for Olympus / Panasonics though, so I'm not much help, sorry.

bobert83

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2007
Check out strobist .blogspot.com

Some great advice on how to do off camera flash on the cheap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.