Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

myitrumors

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 18, 2019
When I start a new Mac OS system, from skratch, inside the keychain application, I noticed there are 3 certificates that are not trusted or not verified yet. I know I can double click eachone of them and make them trusted for the entire system.

But my question is what are those certificates for? What is the purpose of these certificates and should I make them trusted? or not?

One certificate is located inside the Keychain under the Login section: member: xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxxx (expire in one year from the current date) (this certificate has not been verified by a third party)

The other 2 certificates are located inside the Keychain under the System section: com.apple.kerberos.kdc and com.apple.systemdefault (expire in 2040) (this certificate has not been verified by a third party)

Thank you in advance for your help

barbu

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2013
wpg.mb.ca
yes those certs are local to your system. So your system is aware of them but they would not be valid elsewhere, since they are self-signed. Nothing to worry about. Every certificate has a scope, some are valid everywhere on the net and some are only valid in certain trust chains.

Reactions: myitrumors
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.