Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jadcanno

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 4, 2019
Midwest
MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) that made it to the two day mark before a loud electrical pulsing sound (a little like repetitious static) came across my speakers. This sound quit after a few seconds but damaged the left speaker system. When raising the volume of the sound, the left woofer would cut out leaving the tweeter by itself. By plugging headphones in (which still worked), and then removing them, you could reset the speaker but it would immediately recur with a small popping followed by the left woofer cutting out altogether.

I took the new computer into a company Apple Store and was told that there was nothing diagnostically wrong with the computer (they agreed that the sound was screwed up), but if I wanted to return it, I would have to take it to the store where I bought it (College Bookstore) because it was not a company "Apple Store." It was eventually replaced with a brand new computer and I was sent on my way figuring that because I had never had any problems with any Apple product, that this must have been a very expensive anomaly.

Fast-forward 12 months and the evil electrical pulse recurred on the new computer damaging the left side woofer (identically as the first computer) as well as completely destroying the right speaker system. No resetting would bring the right woofer back to life. I've checked many internet forums, as well as YouTube, and found cases of this happening (many theories that generally don't seem likely), and know for a fact that this is not software related. It is, however, more likely a design flaw caused possibly by the proximity of the audio output (and speakers) to the two right side USB C ports. Because they now double as serial buses and electrical inputs I am a bit suspicious. The charging cable was plugged in on both computers when the death sound occurred.

Either way, the speakers are shot and I can only use an external speaker or headphones (not the end of the world, but not always optimal). I took the computer back to the company Apple Store, went through the same diagnostics with a somewhat disinterested youngster who eventually informed me that the whole top would have to be replaced and the computer would be sent off to do this repair. Because I chose not to get the Apple Care (don't shake your head at me, I know), I would have to pay $799 for this repair. I politely asked what guarantee would I have that this wouldn't happen again in a year and if $800 a year seemed fair for the privilege of having functioning speakers in a laptop computer...(He didn't answer)

My question is ...Are there any class action suits for this problem yet? I've had two identical computers both having the same failure and both occurring in the same way. This appears less like an anomaly and more like an issue that just hasn't been acknowledged or addressed yet. The likelihood that Apple knew this was problem, before making it out of Beta testing, is pretty high.... just as were the problematic "Butterfly" keys and malfunctioning keyboards that are now being addressed...... but only after several lawsuits had been initiated first.

Thanks (My faith in Apple is a little shaken, but not gone)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.