Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scribble79

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2014
How do you delete old email address in mail? My fire company switched mail providers and now I have all these old addresses that want to auto load when typing in there names.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
What app are you using for Mail?

If it's Apple's Mail.app, you can delete the old accounts, BUT...
BE AWARE that you may lose the emails IN those accounts UNLESS you export them first, to some kind of archive.

If you don't care about that, just go to Mail.app's preferences, click "accounts", select the account you wish to remove, and then hit the "-" sign (lower left corner).

scribble79

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2014
yes using the apple mail app currently. Do you recommend any other mail app to use. I don't care if I lose the auto saved ones at this point.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I still prefer Mail.app.
I've yet to see anything that runs as well as it does.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
How do you delete old email address in mail? My fire company switched mail providers and now I have all these old addresses that want to auto load when typing in there names.
Open Mail the in the top menu select Window, then Previous Recipients and that will open a window. Hit command-s to select all the then delete everything.

Screen Shot 2018-10-16 at 12.23.07 PM.png

scribble79

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 12, 2014
I did that but it still is pulling addresses. I am going to try and delete the account and go from there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.