Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tipsy McStagger

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Hi all,

I, once upon a time, accidentally duplicated a playlist (call it 'playlist1'). I've since deleted it from iTunes and from my iPhone directly, but whenever I sync my phone with iTunes it pops back up on both my computer and phone again. I have tried backing up the phone after deleting the playlist from iTunes and my iPhone, but to no avail, it is a persistent little playlist. I would like it gone for good!

Any ideas on what is happening? Thank you!

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
I take it you're not an Apple Music subscriber...

I'd try (if you haven't already) connecting the iPhone to iTunes, deleting from iTunes, then syncing.

If that fails, try things like renaming the playlist or moving the Playlist into a Playlist Folder and then deleting. Something to stir things up, as it were.

Le Big Mac

macrumors 68030
Jan 7, 2003
Washington, DC
iTunes syncing of music as been a mess for a couple of years IME - songs don't sync, others stay on the iPhone even when they shouldn't (e.g., a playlist that's "not played in last 3 months" yet songs played in last three months remain on phone). And it takes up memory that it shouldn't.

Anyway, the only solution I've found is periodically to do the following, which seems to get it back to a "fresh" state, from which it then degrades.

1) Sync phone to iTunes
2) Uncheck "sync music" for your phone. Sync again.
3) Disconnect phone from iTunes.
4) On iphone, go into settings->general->Storage & iCloud usage->Manage Storage (under Storage)->select Music, edit, delete all songs.
5) Sync phone again
6) Recheck sync music to your phone, and sync again.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Syncing music on iTunes is frustrating sometimes. I frequently end up with playlists that are on my PC but not on my phone, and vice versa, and duplicates, and other anomalies.

Tipsy McStagger

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2011
Thank you for the replies guys, I'll give each a try and report back
[doublepost=1498312530][/doublepost]
iTunes syncing of music as been a mess for a couple of years IME - songs don't sync, others stay on the iPhone even when they shouldn't (e.g., a playlist that's "not played in last 3 months" yet songs played in last three months remain on phone). And it takes up memory that it shouldn't.

Anyway, the only solution I've found is periodically to do the following, which seems to get it back to a "fresh" state, from which it then degrades.

1) Sync phone to iTunes
2) Uncheck "sync music" for your phone. Sync again.
3) Disconnect phone from iTunes.
4) On iphone, go into settings->general->Storage & iCloud usage->Manage Storage (under Storage)->select Music, edit, delete all songs.
5) Sync phone again
6) Recheck sync music to your phone, and sync again.

IT WORKS!

Thank you so much. By the time you helped me figure this out the playlist had duplicated 3 times and looked like "playlist, playlist 2, playlist 3, playlist 4." driving me bonkers. thank you very much!

Reactions: Le Big Mac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.