Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveh552

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 30, 2014
Today I decided I wanted to start deleting some apps off my rMBP which has the latest 10.10.3 update. When I go into my Launchpad and click on the the apps and the blink, some have the little X next to them and I can remove them. Others like Firefox for example does not. I am logged in as admin but I cannot figure out how to remove some of these apps from my computer. Anyone have any advice?

Last edited:

lobo1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2011
or as I do, use Clean my Mac 3.

First of all, stay clear from clean my mac (mackeeper etc.) or any sh$$$ advertised in the internet! This is OSX not Windows. Just delete the thing. You want to go really deep with cleaning visit Preferences folder in Library (Google for detailed instructions) - it's not usually required but low quality apps may leave some prefs and files behind.

The only tool I can recommend for cleaning your caches is Onyx (freeware).

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
Use AppCleaner http://www.freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/
It is a very simple app. Moving to Trash from Applications folder usually does not get rid of everything related to the app you're deleting.

And? Apart from the trivial amount of space such left-overs take up, once the app is gone and not executing what actual harm can/do these Application Support etc files do?

Just after some examples here, I've only ever had one and the effort to troubleshoot and resolve was miniscule next to the effort to remove ALL traces of any apps deleted...

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
First of all, stay clear from clean my mac (mackeeper etc.) or any sh$$$ advertised in the internet! This is OSX not Windows. Just delete the thing. You want to go really deep with cleaning visit Preferences folder in Library (Google for detailed instructions) - it's not usually required but low quality apps may leave some prefs and files behind.

The only tool I can recommend for cleaning your caches is Onyx (freeware).

I've been using Clean my Mac for years. It works as advertised. Easy, convenient and thorough. I don't like to leave crap files lying around, even if the storage they take up is trivial.

I've used Clean my Mac 1, 2 and 3. 3 is the best one yet.

Ulenspiegel

macrumors 68040
Nov 8, 2014
Land of Flanders and Elsewhere
User needs and habits differ. Some do not care if there are leftovers, the system is not clean and organized. Others don't like to leave behind folders and files of alredy uninstalled applications, thus keeping the system clean and organized. It is a free choice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.