Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
Is there a program that can detect blurry photos in iPhoto and delete them, save me going through them.

Mydriasis

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2005
I don't think so.

Sharpness is just a perception of close high contrast. Lots of picture however don't have that or want it. Plus there is your DOF. Do you want the thing to delete all your awesome shots will a small DOF, just because less than 10% of the image is 'in focus'?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I don't think so.

Sharpness is just a perception of close high contrast. Lots of picture however don't have that or want it. Plus there is your DOF. Do you want the thing to delete all your awesome shots will a small DOF, just because less than 10% of the image is 'in focus'?

Such software does exist. But it is in the context of scientific grade image processing. (designed by and for scientists and engineers) Not really consumer grade ease of use.

The first step in my work flow is "delete the garbage", stuff that I know I will never want and don't even want burn on the first backup CD. Next I do a more careful grading.

wmmk

macrumors 68020
Mar 28, 2006
The Library.
While shooting digital has led us to believe that convenience is king, I feel that going through a shoot and editing out the bad shots and briefly thinking about why you're deleting them can really improve your eye. It also helps you figure out what focal lengths you tend to get good photos at when you're considering lens upgrades.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
While shooting digital has led us to believe that convenience is king, I feel that going through a shoot and editing out the bad shots and briefly thinking about why you're deleting them can really improve your eye.
I'd have to agree.

darkgoob

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2008
Still looking...

I'd have to agree.

I'm still looking for a program like this. A lot of older Nikon point-and-shoot cameras had a "best shot selector" mode where the camera would automatically compare a sequence of images and delete the blurry ones.

I don't understand why today's computers can't do this.

-=DG=-

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
I'm still looking for a program like this. A lot of older Nikon point-and-shoot cameras had a "best shot selector" mode where the camera would automatically compare a sequence of images and delete the blurry ones.

I don't understand why today's computers can't do this.

-=DG=-

A lot of newer Nikons have release mode settings for the autofocus systems. I changed my continuous servo release mode to focus from release (default) and my percentage of keepers went way up, at least for focus issues. Are you sure you've made the right choice in that area?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.