Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amitdel

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 24, 2020
Hi

Been waiting almost 1 year to use my M1 Macbook Air with an external display.

Currently have a couple of Dell U2415H monitors, and I realize non-4K monitors won't cut it, with Monterey, in terms of text sharpness. Hence decided to go for a 4K.

So would appreciate if anyone using the Dell S2721QS, with a M1 Machine can update if:

a) They get RGB either natively (Big Sur or Monterey) on this monitor, or via the Plist method
b) Find the colors, and general "feel" of the display (text, general colors, whites) "satisfactory"

The U2720Q is almost 2x the cost of the S2721QS, and apparently RTINGS finds the latter to be almost as good.

Thanks for your time, and looking forward to help and update.

This community input is particularly crucial as I don't have access to either a demo prior to buying, or the ability to return the monitor, once bought!

Cheers!
Amit

Last edited:

PeterJP

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2012
Leuven, Belgium
Do those adapters also fix flickering with other monitors like the LG 27ul550? Switching to HDR fixed it for me, but HDR looks bad in other ways.

balzmcfearson

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2009
Brooklyn
is that adapter 4k 60hz and does it allow the monitor to set the input color format to RGB?

the problem with a non functioning displayport on the s2721qs that I've found is that the hdmi ports are only recognized as YPbPR. When you plug in via displayport the format is RGB but the display flickers?

alsojames

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2013
Only when using those two methods of connection? Fine otherwise on hdmi to hdmi?
I have two of the S2721Q and can confirm both of them have started with the blanking issue.

One is connected to an Intel MBP via a USB-C to DisplayPort dock - started this week.

The other is connected via HDMI to a Mac Studio - this has been doing it for weeks.

Looks like they might have a 1-year lifespan, fortunately the warranty is greater.

meowmix5000

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2023
I have the flickering and image retention issue with the S2721Q monitor that I have. Dell has a KB article about this issue which recommends using particular Dell adapters. I bought the USB-C to HDMI adapter (47KD7) that the article recommends and it worked for a few weeks, but now the flickering issue is back. Unfortunately, my monitor is out of warranty. I won't be buying another Dell monitor again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.