Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hiler88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2016
Hi,

I've browsed the forums at MacRumors on many occasions in the past and have signed up with the hope that somebody could offer advice - I just picked up a new Dell U3415W ultra wide display for my 2015 rMB(first edition - purchased Sept 2015) and have been experiencing a strange issue.

The display is connected via HDMI using Apple's official USB-C HDMI adapter. Everything was going smooth during setup until I noticed the screen go black for a second and then come back on. Originally, I thought this was due to a loose cable but checked and found everything to be connected properly. This has continued to happen over the last few days. Every 30 minutes or so, the screen just goes black for a second and then comes back on.

I know a few users on here have connected their rMB's to Dell ultrawides using the same adapters and was hoping that someone could offer advice/help. I really don't want to have to return the monitor because it really is fantastic but for the money it cost I don't think screen flickering should be something to tolerate.

Thanks in advance! :)

donaldc

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
I'm also having the same problem using a Dell U2312HM display (MacBook lid closed).

I'm using the HooToo adapter, not the official apple one, and have the latest (2016) MacBook.

hiler88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2016
I'm also having the same problem using a Dell U2312HM display (MacBook lid closed).

I'm using the HooToo adapter, not the official apple one, and have the latest (2016) MacBook.

I really wish I had known this to be an issue before I spent the money on the monitor but I know of other users on this forum that have the same setup and haven't reported any issues. Hopefully we can get some answers.

ninja2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010
I just wanted to chime in and add I have this with both 2015 and 2016 MacBooks and my u3415 using the official adapter.
I haven't spent a lot of time trouble shooting it yet as I rarely use the macbook on the display (its mostly used for a windows machine)

hiler88

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 30, 2016
I just wanted to chime in and add I have this with both 2015 and 2016 MacBooks and my u3415 using the official adapter.
I haven't spent a lot of time trouble shooting it yet as I rarely use the macbook on the display (its mostly used for a windows machine)
Are you running the display at 60Hz when connected to either of the MacBooks?

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
2016 M7, Hootoo, & U3415W. Working fine, I haven't seen flickering.

I've read some review comments that claimed switching to a different HDMI cable fixed the issue. While others tried many cables and it didn't work. Then again, some people got replacement hubs and it worked fine. So seems like a mix of lots of issues.

2015 and 2016 macbook has something different with HDMI output, not sure exactly what it is but it is creating compatibility issues with usb hubs. The official apple usb-c AV multiport hub has a firmware update you can apply to fix things.

donaldc

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
2016 M7, Hootoo, & U3415W. Working fine, I haven't seen flickering.

I've read some review comments that claimed switching to a different HDMI cable fixed the issue. While others tried many cables and it didn't work. Then again, some people got replacement hubs and it worked fine. So seems like a mix of lots of issues.

2015 and 2016 macbook has something different with HDMI output, not sure exactly what it is but it is creating compatibility issues with usb hubs. The official apple usb-c AV multiport hub has a firmware update you can apply to fix things.
What HDMI cable did you use? I'm using an AmazonBasics HDMI 2.0 cable

doboy

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2007
Hi,

I've browsed the forums at MacRumors on many occasions in the past and have signed up with the hope that somebody could offer advice - I just picked up a new Dell U3415W ultra wide display for my 2015 rMB(first edition - purchased Sept 2015) and have been experiencing a strange issue.

The display is connected via HDMI using Apple's official USB-C HDMI adapter. Everything was going smooth during setup until I noticed the screen go black for a second and then come back on. Originally, I thought this was due to a loose cable but checked and found everything to be connected properly. This has continued to happen over the last few days. Every 30 minutes or so, the screen just goes black for a second and then comes back on.

I know a few users on here have connected their rMB's to Dell ultrawides using the same adapters and was hoping that someone could offer advice/help. I really don't want to have to return the monitor because it really is fantastic but for the money it cost I don't think screen flickering should be something to tolerate.

I just picked up a LG 27UD88-W USB-C monitor and while I was using it today with the OEM Apple USB-C/HDMI adapter the screen would go blank once in a while with my 2016 (non-patched) m7 rMB. I tried both at HiDPI 1080 @ 30Hz and 1080p @ 60Hz, but no real difference in blackout occurances and I'm using the latest gen Amazon HDMI cable. This doesn't seem to happen when I connect it directly to the monitor with supplied USB-C cable. Kinda annoying since I'm thinking about just getting the same monitor w/o USB-C and save $200.

asfalloth

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2013
London
Hi,

I have the exact same monitor as you with my 2016 macbook, had and occasionally still have the flickering, to cure it for sure I either reboot the macbook whilst it is still connected to the monitor, or pull the power cord on the monitor leave it for 10 seconds and then replug in the power to the monitor.

This fixes it for sure for the rest of the day.

kind regards

Joe.

ParanoidDroid

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2013
Venusville, Mars
I have the same issue too. I don't know exactly what's causing the problem. It happens with many monitors. I only use 1080p monitors with the official apple adapter. I was thinking at first it was a loose cable too. But no, like you said, it's not a cable issue. It's definitely a macbook issue the monitors are fine.

Coco Nuts

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2016
I just picked up a LG 27UD88-W USB-C monitor and while I was using it today with the OEM Apple USB-C/HDMI adapter the screen would go blank once in a while with my 2016 (non-patched) m7 rMB. I tried both at HiDPI 1080 @ 30Hz and 1080p @ 60Hz, but no real difference in blackout occurances and I'm using the latest gen Amazon HDMI cable. This doesn't seem to happen when I connect it directly to the monitor with supplied USB-C cable. Kinda annoying since I'm thinking about just getting the same monitor w/o USB-C and save $200.
If you connect your MacBook to a USB-C monitor, what do you need the adapter for?

donaldc

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
I have also found that restarting the MacBook when connected to the monitor corrects the problem. Frustrating, but at least it works.

ninja2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010
I have also found that restarting the MacBook when connected to the monitor corrects the problem. Frustrating, but at least it works.

Yes, same for me.

I just bought a Dell WD15 usb c dock, no luck with that either. I get 3440x1440 via HDMI but the colours are all messed up or a stupidly low resolution via display port.

I thought this USB-C was going to simplify things but it is becoming a headache

Reactions: ParanoidDroid

WickedPorter

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2012
I have the same problem. A reboot fixes it, as @donaldc mentions. Seems like some sort of software/display driver issue, or possibly the USB-C media adapter needs another firmware update ...

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
I use the same monitor at two different places. Both monitors work flawlessly for me as long as the laptop has power. If the laptop doesn't have power and the lid is closed, the screen will go black and the laptop will lock constantly. One of my power cables has an issue so sometimes I have to pull it from the wall, let it sit for 30seconds and plug it back in. This is the apple plug, not the monitor.

I'm using all the brand stuff (Apple with Apple and Dell stuff that came with the monitors). I run it at the default resolution and 50Hz (max it shows for me).

Reactions: O. Frabjous-Dey

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Hey, I'm thinking of getting the same setup (HooToo + Dell ultrawide). Did you get that to run at 60Hz out of the box?

Mine does 50hz at 3440x1440 with hootoo. I haven't tried the hack yet for 60hz people are talking about

But the U3415W is hdmi 2.0 supported. My PC desktop output 60hz hdmi 2.0 fine.

Last edited:
Reactions: O. Frabjous-Dey

SumNextGai

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
Ontario, CA
Mine flickers as well, about 2-3 times within 15 minutes of each then it stops flickering. Using my rMB with Apple's USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter, AmazonBasics HDMI cable, and a Samsung S24D590L.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.