Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deanfinder

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2007
I have been viewing this forum for a while, and I have now decided to get a Nikon D80. I want the D80 because my father-in-law has old Nikon lenses (non-AFS) that he will let me use, so I ruled out the D40/40x. My "accountant" will allow me to buy the D80 once I have saved enough, but I stated looking at Cameta Camera's ebay auctions because of the recommendations on this forum. I noticed they had a body-only package that are "demos". The description notes that there may be some "cosmetic" issues, but that the cameras are tested by Nikon and are fully functional, and Cameta Camera offers a 1 year warranty on them. Anyone ever bought a demo camera? Any thoughts on doing so or not?

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I bought a D50 "demo" from Cameta. It was packaged in a Nikon refurb box with all new accessories (book, cables, battery, etc) and the body itself looked brand new. There was not one scratch on it. I've had it for quite a few months now and haven't had any problems so I would definitely recommend it.

Good Luck

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I haven't bought a demo camera - but as long as the warranty is satisfactory, and the seller has a good reputation, I wouldn't hesitate (if it were me).

I would make sure the warranty covers the items you expect it to cover, both parts and labor, for the time period specified.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
I haven't bought a demo camera - but as long as the warranty is satisfactory, and the seller has a good reputation, I wouldn't hesitate (if it were me).

I would make sure the warranty covers the items you expect it to cover, both parts and labor, for the time period specified.

They're selling store, not factory warranties, so I'd trust them about as far as you could throw the UPS truck that delivers them. That said, if the feedback is good, I don't see why you should doubt them. Good luck with the cam, I've had D80 and its great.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I wouldn't hesitate. I think DSLRs are probably treated quite well by people trying them out. A pesky salesman is probably standing close by, watching the customer while s/he tries it out. I doubt anyone is going to throw that thing around, and wouldn't be surprised if it was in perfect working AND physical condition......"as new".

djbahdow01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2004
Northeast, CT
Cameta is a very good company to work with. I have bought from them a few times and have had no problems. As for a demo unit, they have been refurbished by Nikon, and basically are brand new. I'm sure if anything they couldn't have much more than 500 shutter actuation's on it.

Just be careful if calling in to finish the order sometimes the salesmen offer extra stuff, which can add up, if anything pick up a Mack warranty as it is well worth it.

They're selling store, not factory warranties, so I'd trust them about as far as you could throw the UPS truck that delivers them. That said, if the feedback is good, I don't see why you should doubt them. Good luck with the cam, I've had D80 and its great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.