Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
There was a thread a while ago wondering if people can be banned from returning anything at retailers, especially Apple, and some others.

Well, apparently there is a company that processes people who return things, and they keep a list.

I returned something to Bed Bath and Beyond, and got a nasty 'Future returns may be denied' notice.

The company doing this that they use, and I'm sure there are others, is 'The Retail Equation'. They keep a 'RAR' (return activity report) on customers of enrolled merchants, and if you are on their 'bad list', you will be denied. I don't know how common the use of 'TRE' and 'RAR' is, but I'm sure there are quite a few merchants using their services.

What got me the black mark? I bought a returned item, and asked the cashier if it was returnable. She looked right at the box (which I didn't) and said 'Yes, it is returnable, just bring in your receipt'. So the wife went crazy, and the next morning I tried to return it. Had 'we' read the box (I never even opened it), and the idiot cashier known anything about her job, she would have said 'No. Prior returns are not returnable for any reason, It's a final sale. Look that over before you buy it, because it's over once you pay for it'. The assistant manager came over and said 'NO!', and the general manager came over and said 'Well, okay, this once. But items sold this way are not returnable under any circumstances', so apparently they 'contested' the return, but gave it to me, and I now have an entry (the first I know about anyway) in a computer system somewhere that tells them I'm not a 'good customer'.

So, yeah, it is entirely possible that a third party could be keeping a list of your returns and that if you have a history with returns, you very well could be denied *any* return. Imagine a time when corporations rule the country. I hope it never happens, ever.

And the zinger at the end? I had 2 prior sale items, one was an unopened rice cooker that was marked down $10.00. The cashier rang it up at full price. Not such a big deal because it was unopened, but I wasn't going to go back and contest it.

And this is not a rant against BB&B, or 'TRE', but is a warning that people that are returning things, the merchant apparently can 'tag' the return and get you on a denial list through a return processing service like 'TRE'. (Funny thing is I just found 'the notice' while cleaning out my glove box. I did get the notice, it was on a separate receipt size slip, but if they tossed it, I'd never know)

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Well, I kind of figured that companies kept track of returns because if they got someone that keeps returning things just to try them out it will hurt their business. I didn’t know a third-party did it though.

I’ve never heard of Apple banning anyone but I’m sure it happens

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
I’ve never heard of Apple banning anyone but I’m sure it happens

I saw it happen at an Apple Store. The returner was pretty steamed when he arrived, and got worse as he went up the chain of people and was finally calmly urged to leave. I can only imagine his adventure probably started online, or on the phone, but it does happen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.