Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JustinG87

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
So I'm shopping for a digital camera that's decent, but not too expensive. Obviously if I need something for a project I'll hire a photographer, but it's still good to have a camera myself for those times I just need to take some shots for a mock-up, or any number of scenarios. I'm not the best with a camera, I'll admit, my photos usually wind up fairly blurry, or the lighting is fairly off. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
What kind of camera do you want? Ultracompact, compact, bridge or DSLR?

Are you willing to buy used from a reputable store (which should give you at least a few weeks warranty)?

JustinG87

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
What kind of camera do you want? Ultracompact, compact, bridge or DSLR?

Are you willing to buy used from a reputable store (which should give you at least a few weeks warranty)?

I'm open to suggestions, and yes I'm willing to buy used from a reputable store.

JustinG87

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
I think I've narrowed it down to a DSLR, but I'd still like to find something under the $300 price range. Does anyone have any suggestions?

LittleCanonKid

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
I think I've narrowed it down to a DSLR, but I'd still like to find something under the $300 price range. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Under $300 for a DSLR is a pretty hard deal to come by, even if you're looking around at used cameras. If you're willing to spend $400-$500, many more options open up and it's even enough for a new, recently-released entry-level DSLR. If you find a deal as good as gkarris describes, I would jump on it. However, are you planning to expand on whatever you get or are you planning to just stick with whatever body/lens you get? If the latter is the case I suppose researching each brand's lens library isn't as necessary. The comfort level with the camera's controls though is still important, so you might want to try out different cameras/brands at a store.

Remember though, if you have unique needs you'll probably be looking at a skyrocketed price for a good lens (for example, ultra-wide angle). For $300, you're probably going to have to look for a used camera that's a couple generations old, like a used Rebel XT or D40. Good luck.

Olivier L.

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
bridge + tripod

For your 300 bugdet, I would forget SLR. I would suggest a good bridge camera for 250 then a nice tripod for it. This will help you a lot when shooting pictures of mock-up, objects, installations, ...

cenetti

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2008
^^ exactly !

Why would he even need a DSLR? You buy SLR system, so that you can change the lens for different shooting situations.

All you need a point and shoot...

JustinG87

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2007
Seattle, WA
I've never found a point and shoot that can take very satisfying shots. Not to mention they all take them in jpeg. Ew.

Olivier L.

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
I've never found a point and shoot that can take very satisfying shots. Not to mention they all take them in jpeg. Ew.
Search better. :rolleyes: Some P&S or bridge shoot also in RAW or TIFF.

With the boundary conditions you gave us (budget, casual use when no dedicated photographer is available, no particular skills with cameras), I would stick to my advice to buy a compact or bridge and a tripod.

Bad reputation of P&S comes from blurry, bad colored, badly framed pictures taken inside in low-light.

With a tripod and a minimal amount of observation and sensibility, you will get very good results.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Search better. :rolleyes: Some P&S or bridge shoot also in RAW or TIFF.

With the boundary conditions you gave us (budget, casual use when no dedicated photographer is available, no particular skills with cameras), I would stick to my advice to buy a compact or bridge and a tripod.

Bad reputation of P&S comes from blurry, bad colored, badly framed pictures taken inside in low-light.

With a tripod and a minimal amount of observation and sensibility, you will get very good results.

The above is correct if you will be using these images after they are downsized. Even a 4MP camera has way to many pixels to fit on a computer screen and must be re-sampled.
Resampling pretty much eliminates noise and removes any fine details

What the SLR buys you mostly is a physically larger sensor. It will have better color, and less noise. But if you can put the Point and Shoot on a tripod, trigger it with a self-timer and (big "and" here) have enough light on the subject you can do very good work. For small indoor objects you can buy a 500 watt work light from Home depot and aim it at the back wall or ceiling and really put some light on a subject for cheap. The reflected light will not look harsh either. Or aim the work light directly to the subject if you like those knife edge sharp deep black shadows. Just do NOT use the P&S' builtin flash. Buy a $50 work light.

The DSLR would be much more versitile and sude Nikon D70 or D50 with lens start at just over your $300 limit at about $350. But even then buy a tripod and a big light

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.