Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which variant is the best – the short one or the long?

• Total voters

Pentaxer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2018
Russia
Greetings!
Need help in designing of useful item for MacProOwners – efficient power cable for GPU.

Short reading
I am designing the MAGIC cable to power GPU from SATA effectively. Need help. Anybody will be able to buy it from the workshop directly.

Long reading
High performance GPUs need a lot of power. PCIE and onboard dual 6 pins power is not enough. We make PIXLAS mod or use SATA power. Let’s speak on SATA to GPU cables.
I, for example, use the following scheme: SATA –> short SATA to 6 pin cable –> 6 pin extender (in my case even 2 short extenders). It is not optimal because:
1) power goes from motherboard to DVD-bay and then returns back to GPU. In my case the summary length of cables is about 1,1 m! There is energy lose;
2) it is VERY hard to find a good «SATA-power – 6 pin» cable. For example: every 6 pin extender can provide 75 watts, but «SATA-power – 6 pin» cable - only 30 watts (several of them had been tested; maybe you can find a better one);
3) it is not simple to insert in MacPro additional cables from DVD-bay to GPU;
4) it is ugly (on MacPro background).

The idea
MacPro's motherboard has 4 pin connector (see picture 1 below) to power DVDs. Let's make MAGIC cable to directly power GPU from that connector. I have communicated with several Chinese workshops – they are ready to make it for us and then sell it to everybody. But to start production we must: make a scheme, order 20+ items. The estimate price is 10$ - depends on materials and etc.

The design
I have drawn 2 variants of MAGIC cable (picture 2 below; the scheme in PowerPoint for editing).

The questions
1) Which variant is the best – the short one or the long one?
2) What are the official names of connectors?
3) What length of "appendix" should be used in the long variant?
4) What pinout must be used?

Pictures:

MB.jpg

MC.jpg

Last edited:

Pentaxer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2018
Russia
The result of additional investigation

1. The optimal "appendix" length is 45-50 cm. It is >2x times shorter than summary cables length without MAGIC cable.

2. 6 pin connector in "long variant" is better to change to 6+2 pin connector.

3. Highly likely (1) and (3) connectors belong to that series.

Question 7: can this power port deliver stable 75W without damage ?
The right question is HOW MUCH power this connector can provide. I'll be happy if it is 40+ watts. It will be enough for many GPU like 7970, 280x, RX 580 Nitro+ and other OC cards such as RX 56.
A few thoughts:
4.1. Apple makes this connector to power 2x DVD. The upper power limit of each DVD writer consumption is 30 watts - i.e. 60 watts in summary.
4.2. The connectors rated for 6.5A. 6.5 x 12 = 78 watts.
4.3. SATA power connectors are rated for 4.5A. 4.5 x 12 = 54 watts
So we may expect for 50+ watts and believe for 50-75 watts.

Reactions: dabotsonline

Pentaxer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2018
Russia
I heard about several cards that don’t work when dual 8 pin connectors are powered with 8 and 6 pin cables. Even if they don’t need so many power.

Or such situation is exception?

Macschrauber

macrumors 68030
Dec 27, 2015
Germany
If the user adds a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter its his own fault. Yes, thats an exception.

I like the idea of the ODD power plug adapter. For 6 Pin.

8 Pin should be taken from the "standard" Double Mini PCI Power to single 8 Pin cables. Those are on the market. Sold in eBay and Amazon.

Pentaxer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2018
Russia
If the user adds a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter its his own fault. Yes, thats an exception.

I like the idea of the ODD power plug adapter. For 6 Pin.

8 Pin should be taken from the "standard" Double Mini PCI Power to single 8 Pin cables. Those are on the market. Sold in eBay and Amazon.

Agree with you.

Pentaxer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2018
Russia
Next part of investigation:

1. Now we know the pinout of motherboard’s connector (link).

2. Going to use 4.5A cables. It provides 50+ watts and prevents connector from being burned.

3. More detailed scheme of the «long variant» is attached.

And i can’t identify connectors (1) and (2) :(

Magic 2.jpg

zedex

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2018
Perth, WA
As to your original proposal/pitch - I think it's an AWESOME idea and I'd put my hand up to take 3 - 5 units if you "greenlight" this initiative.

Separately, but still COMPLETELY ON TOPIC..... I invented my own solution that I have tested and verified working!
I've attached an image for further scrutiny by those MR members that are "electrical engineering types" - I need to know if it was a beautiful accident OR a dangerous and deeply flawed electrical assembly that would be dumb to implement permanently.

Dual SATA Power TO 6-PIN PCIe WEB.JPG

[FURTHER CONTEXT / BACKGROUND] I'm just a technically minded experimenter and all I can say is that this solution worked perfectly when I 'invented' it to power an RX 480 that was shipped to me without any PCIe power connectors (and I didn't have and mini-PCIe connectors lying around).

When I put this together my rudimentary assumption was that I was drawing 2x SATA PORT POWER (i.e. 2x 40W = 80W) and re-routing it in to the one 6-PIN PCIe connector. Anyway - looking forward to the feedback :)

QUICK EDIT -- TEXT ON THE DIAGRAM THAT READS "(1ST) SATA POWER 15-PIN cable [LIKE THIS] plugs in to Drive Bay 2" should read "(1ST) SATA POWER 15-PIN cable [LIKE THIS] plugs in to Drive Bay 1"

Last edited:
Reactions: OddyOh and Pentaxer

Pentaxer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2018
Russia
As to your original proposal/pitch - I think it's an AWESOME idea and I'd put my hand up to take 3 - 5 units if you "greenlight" this initiative.

Thanks!
Let's make the idea come true.

Separately, but still COMPLETELY ON TOPIC..... I invented my own solution that I have tested and verified working!
I've attached an image for further scrutiny by those MR members that are "electrical engineering types" - I need to know if it was a beautiful accident OR a dangerous and deeply flawed electrical assembly that would be dumb to implement permanently...

When I put this together my rudimentary assumption was that I was drawing 2x SATA PORT POWER (i.e. 2x 40W = 80W) and re-routing it in to the one 6-PIN PCIe connector. Anyway - looking forward to the feedback :)

Good work!
I am also using nearly the same solution now. But it is not optimal (see the first post).

It's just a normal dual row 4-pin molex connector.

It is a bit smaller, looks like "mini-fit" or "nano-fit". But i am not sure.
Going to disassembly my cMP and measure it.

Pentaxer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2018
Russia
The news.

1. Highly likely the "unknown" connectors are from MOLEX "micro-fit" series. Have just ordered one to test on my cMP.

2. The information from the workshop: the optimal L1 length is 5 cm - it can be done by machines. The shorter one require "hand made" technique, the price will be much higher. I don't see any probles in 5 cm lenght.

Stay tuned!

Pentaxer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 25, 2018
Russia
Any results? When can we buy one and from where?

There is no good news.
The workshops are not interested in making several items. They are ready to produce 100+ to sell at once.

Several items need to be done by hands (with no machines) - it will be very expensive (~25$ for one item).

Bynsms

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2019
There is no good news.
The workshops are not interested in making several items. They are ready to produce 100+ to sell at once.

Several items need to be done by hands (with no machines) - it will be very expensive (~25$ for one item).
So make a poll about it. Let the people decide if the price is worth it for them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.