Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moneylab

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2018
Sarasota, FL
[SOLVED] - changed the desktop photo I was using and it cleared everything up except for my dock is missing. Maybe the image I had been using was corrupted somehow? Will close this thread.

I have an iMac running Maverick. Yesterday I had it in 'sleep' mode for a couple of hours; when I returned, the following changes were observed:

1) On startup, many of my desktop icons were duplicated and stacked on top of each other. I could move many of them to the center part of the screen and open them; however the icons on the far left and right of the screen cannot be moved or opened.

2) the dock icons are duplicated and stacked on top of each other.

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 9.47.14 AM.png

3) the info bar at the extreme top right of the screen (wifi, volume, date, time etc) has a fuzzy duplicated "shadow" behind each item, slightly offset.

Screen Shot 2018-06-22 at 9.46.46 AM.png

The display within browsers looks perfectly normal; only the desktop display is messed up as listed above.

The Mac is about 5 years old and I've never had problems like this before. Any ideas how to fix this? Thanks!

Last edited:

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
First...it's probably limited to your User Account but you should check that by creating another User Account and logging into it.

Second...someone else here has probably seen this before so give the forum folks a little time to see your post.

Reactions: moneylab
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.