Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alptkz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
When I try to make any kind of audio recording with my Macbook to record my voice, the audio from my desktop can be heard too.

For example, if I make a Quicktime audio recording and select an external microphone as the source (I've tried with airpods and a wired headset with microphone), I can record my voice just fine but if a youtube video is playing in the background, its sounds will be also recorded in the audio recording.

I've been struggling with this issue for a while and it's driving me crazy. When I search for a solution online, all I can find is solutions for people trying to do the opposite (recording desktop audio within a voice recording).

I specifically only want my mic audio source to be part of the recording and nothing else. Can somebody help me please ?

Thanks
PS: Some extra info:
- I've tried several recording software and the problem is always the same, indicating this is a system-wide issue.
- I've also tried with a different computer and I don't have that problem there.
- This problem is on my Macbook Pro 2016 with Touchbar

davidec

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2008
When I try to make any kind of audio recording with my Macbook to record my voice, the audio from my desktop can be heard too.

For example, if I make a Quicktime audio recording and select an external microphone as the source (I've tried with airpods and a wired headset with microphone), I can record my voice just fine but if a youtube video is playing in the background, its sounds will be also recorded in the audio recording.

I've been struggling with this issue for a while and it's driving me crazy. When I search for a solution online, all I can find is solutions for people trying to do the opposite (recording desktop audio within a voice recording).

I specifically only want my mic audio source to be part of the recording and nothing else. Can somebody help me please ?

Thanks
PS: Some extra info:
- I've tried several recording software and the problem is always the same, indicating this is a system-wide issue.
- I've also tried with a different computer and I don't have that problem there.
- This problem is on my Macbook Pro 2016 with Touchbar

Sounds like you have internal audio rather than internal mic selected as your input source in system preferences audio. Either that or you have inadvertently installed something like sound flower that routes one to the other

alptkz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
Nope my sound input and output are all correct. The sound of the YouTube video is only going to my headphones so it can’t be picked up by the mic either.

I have installed things like soundflower in the past but have deleted them. This is also happening on other users by the way. Is there a way to check which services/plugins could be causing this ?

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
What do have in the device lists for System Preferences>Sound>Output and System Preferences>Sound>Input?

Also, have you tried a different recording app (something like Audacity) to see if the same thing happens?

alptkz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 26, 2009
What do have in the device lists for System Preferences>Sound>Output and System Preferences>Sound>Input?

Also, have you tried a different recording app (something like Audacity) to see if the same thing happens?

Finally figured it out. It turns out that my headset was the culprit. I switched to headphones and using my internal microphone and it works fine finally. No idea why the headset does this, but it's finally working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.