Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bagongo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
Hello,

I am about to perform a dfu restore on my iPhone ‘cause lately I’ve been experiencing battery problems (phone turns off before reaching 1%), and having excluded other possible causes I am assuming it’s a firmware-related issue.
Not having performed such an operation before on my device my main concern is about the data saved on my apps after I will restore from backup.
My question is - will my app data be found on my iPhone after the restore? I am mostly concerned about photoshop touch, which I have been using a lot. Do you think the saved projects I have on that app will be preserved after the dfu restore?

Thanks!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hello,

I am about to perform a dfu restore on my iPhone ‘cause lately I’ve been experiencing battery problems (phone turns off before reaching 1%), and having excluded other possible causes I am assuming it’s a firmware-related issue.
Not having performed such an operation before on my device my main concern is about the data saved on my apps after I will restore from backup.
My question is - will my app data be found on my iPhone after the restore? I am mostly concerned about photoshop touch, which I have been using a lot. Do you think the saved projects I have on that app will be preserved after the dfu restore?

Thanks!
Anything saved in the backup will be restored. If you have PS Touch saving data to the backup then you will get it back.

PS. A DFU restore will restore as new first. Then you will have to restore from your backup.

bagongo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
Anything saved in the backup will be restored. If you have PS Touch saving data to the backup then you will get it back.

PS. A DFU restore will restore as new first. Then you will have to restore from your backup.

So to make it very clear basically these are the steps to perform:

- backup up the phone, say on mac not the cloud.
-put it in dfu mode
-restore as new from there
-restore from the backup

And then I'll have the phone with a pristine firmware and all the data exactly as before the process?
And by the way how can I make sure Photoshop, or any other app is saving its data to the backup?

Thanks!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
So to make it very clear basically these are the steps to perform:

- backup up the phone, say on mac not the cloud.
-put it in dfu mode
-restore as new from there
-restore from the backup

And then I'll have the phone with a pristine firmware and all the data exactly as before the process?
And by the way how can I make sure Photoshop, or any other app is saving its data to the backup?

Thanks!
You have the steps correct.

To make sure your data is being saved in the backup you will need to look at your backup settings inside the Settings app where it breaks down each app's data that is being backed up. The default when you install a new app is for it to be turned on though so unless you switched it off on purpose it should be backing up. I'd check anyway though.

bagongo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
Thank you!

Only I cannot find the section in the Settings app where the app data backup is shown. Can you kindly point me to where it is?

Thanks!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Thank you!

Only I cannot find the section in the Settings app where the app data backup is shown. Can you kindly point me to where it is?

Thanks!
General>Storage and iCloud usage>under iCloud, Manage Storage>Select your device>toggle the apps you want to have their data backed up, press on show all app if the app you want isn't showing.

If you're making a backup to iTunes it will automatically back up the data so there's nothing there to set.

bagongo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 19, 2015
Ok, thanks. I think I will go the iTunes route since it feels safer. Anyway, I will perform the procedure much light-heartedly now and I also I learnt something new about my device...
Thank you very much, sir!!!

Reactions: eyoungren
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.