Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac-Rumours

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Hi,

My 2012 Retina MacBook Pro 13" was working fine up until a few days ago. I went to use it yesterday and it was completely unresponsive and wouldn't turn on. I thought the battery was dead so put it to charge. The power cable's LED is still orange after some time charging and the laptop still won't turn on.

I've tried resetting the SMC and the power LED changes green for a moment. I've also tried disconnecting the battery, screen, SSD, airport, camera, IO board, and track pad to see if the fans will spin up – they don't and the computer still doesn't appear to power up.

Anything else I can do to diagnose myself before taking to a repair shop? (There's no official Apple presence in this country, only authorised resellers). I've got a multimeter and some basic electronic skills. :)

Thanks

Last edited:

Mac-Rumours

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
Left computer over night. Blew away dust on logic board. Accidentally knocked one corner.

MacBook came back to life!

Macdctr

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
I find it strange that you have to knock on a corner of your MacBook Pro in order to get it to turn on. Not saying it cannot be done but it's also not right. Over time I would think you might end up breaking something...

Mac-Rumours

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
I find it strange that you have to knock on a corner of your MacBook Pro in order to get it to turn on. Not saying it cannot be done but it's also not right. Over time I would think you might end up breaking something...

I thought I was going to have to pay for a new logic board so not complaining that all it took to fix was an accidental knock to the corner.

But, of course, you're right, it doesn't make sense that this is the solution to the issue. Nor does it make sense that the computer died for no reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.