Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macmesser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2012
Long Island, NY USA
Mac Pro 4,1 -> 5,1 booting from 10.11.5 internal disk or 10.8.5 eSATA has had persistent problems since I upgraded by installing NewerTech eSATA card and Sonnet USB 3. I think they might have been present earlier but went unnoticed. Problems are: 1)usb mouse cursor (on native usb 2 port) frozen in top left corner. Must be disconnected and reconnected to unfreeze. 2) Startup manager is most often bypassed when restarting; reliably available when starting from power off. 3) El Capitan has started booting (?) to light grey screen; shutting down and choosing disk in startup manger generally boots up if the grey screen doesn't want to go away. I should say that once booted successfully and the mouse is unfrozen the system seems to function fine. Disk utility and diagnostic programs find no disk or file problems. I have started in verbose mode in an attempt to get a handle on things but messages are greek to me and also scroll too fast to read. After a couple of screens they pause. The messages pause at the following line:

localhost:/root#000018.231268 AppleUSB20HubPort@1a230000:AppleUSBHostPort::disconnect:
persistent enumeration failures

After the above line I type in exit (?) and the boot process completes. Should I continue the messages in some way and if so how? I think some more messages appear as it boots but too fast to read.

Would appreciate any comments as to the implications of that message. Does it seem likely a hardware problem? Conflict, either software or hardware? How can I tell? Also wondering if there is some way to pipe the messages to a file for analysis. Any tips on how to use single user and verbose mode to diagnose? This is a particularly bad time to be down so I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.