Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CptGabok

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
Los Angeles
I've been going in circles with Citizens One for over a week now, because they can't verify my credit information "as provided." I may have found the culprit, but I need other people to confirm it.

One Apple employee said the information that gets sent to Citizens One is the default information for the primary account holder on AT&T. I am on a family plan with my parents, and as such, I am not the primary account holder, do not live at their address, and have (obviously) a different social security number than my mother.

The reason I need this to be verified, is that a different Apple employee told me the opposite. That the information sent is whatever the credit card information is.

If you signed up online for iUP but are NOT the primary account holder, this information will let me narrow down the possibilities of why I still can't order my iPhone.

Help me, Obi-wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.

bluedukies8

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2009
Iowa
I am currently in the same situation you are. Though I can provide you with an answer as I started the IUP last year.

You need to make sure you are an AUTHORIZED user on the AT&T account. Don't have to be primary on the account.

*My fault, I forgot the title said ONLINE*

Now when you go into the Apple Store to get your phone, you will give them your phone number. They will verify the account with AT&T. They will do this by asking for the last 4 of the Social Security number. <--- This is the last 4 of the PRIMARY account holder. They don't have to be with you.

Once they get that part done they will then get YOUR information for the loan with Citizens and will need the credit card that is going to be used for payment on the phone (monthly payments). The primary account holder has nothing to due with the loan and Citizens....unless the card is in their name.

I found out that when they authorize the card and finalize the process you do need to make sure you have at least 3 months available on the credit card. I would recommend having the at least the total for taxes, first month & then 3 more months just to be safe. Citizens will verify that there is at least that amount to cover.

Hopefully this answers your question. If not or you have more let me know.

**edited to note my comment doesn't address online.

I'm sorry I don't have experience with the online process. I had to go in store to set it up last year.

Last edited:

CptGabok

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
Los Angeles
Gotcha. That is helpful information, even if it is for doing the in-store option. Making sure there is enough credit available on the card is a good note.

I tried last year, and went into the store and did all the steps you specified and was denied...even though I am already an authorized user on the account. Citizens One has been painfully unhelpful, and it doesn't make things easier that you have to wait 30 days before re-applying. Trial-and-error over 30 day timelines is very stressful.

Thank you for your reply!

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
I was in a similar situation. I am a 100% authorized user but my fiancé is the primary. It got all the way to the check out part to finalized the order. I used the last 4 of her social to verify out ATT account. But I entered my social and my CC for the citizens loan. It did allow me to go to the pay now page. Wonder it would have went through, looks like it would have otherwise why would it take me to the finalize order page. I'm trying to pickup in store however since shipment showed mid October.

We are obviously at the same address and it showed her name and our address for the phone to be shipped.

Last edited:
Reactions: CptGabok

CptGabok

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
Los Angeles
Unfortunately, it actually doesn't do the check until you click "Place order"—another frustrating part of it. So you wouldn't know if it went through until you actually purchased the phone. I'm curious if it would have gone through, but best of luck trying to pick it up in the store!

vanimal

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2014
Unfortunately, it actually doesn't do the check until you click "Place order"—another frustrating part of it. So you wouldn't know if it went through until you actually purchased the phone. I'm curious if it would have gone through, but best of luck trying to pick it up in the store!

Ahh, ok that makes sense. I could always just have my fiancé use hers in that case, as in her social.

But I'm looking to go in store if they get some in the am. And my schedule is far more flexible compared to hers. Take my damn money Apple before I change my mind out of frustration lol.

CptGabok

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2015
Los Angeles
Ahh, ok that makes sense. I could always just have my fiancé use hers in that case, as in her social.

But I'm looking to go in store if they get some in the am. And my schedule is far more flexible compared to hers. Take my damn money Apple before I change my mind out of frustration lol.

lol — this is what I'm saying! I'm having the hardest freaking time trying to give them my money. It honestly wouldn't be a big deal, but the primary on my account is my mother, who lives 6 hours away. So having to meet up to upgrade an iPhone every September would be a tad inconvenient.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.