Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I think they anamojis are great! hahahaha!

my husband is going to hate them! he's hated the stickers that I insist on buying and using! he's really gonna hate thos anamojis!

rumz

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
Whether you like it or not... I think these gimmicks sell. And why not? If you're building tech that sophisticated to unlock the phone (Face ID) why not leverage the same sensors for some entertainment value? A lot of people love various methods of self expression via messaging apps (emoji, stickers, stuff like "bitmoji", etc.)

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Their target audience are Millennials and old people that think they’re cool (they’re not).
As a 21 year old College undergraduate, I can say that we’re just getting new phones just because our 2 year plans ended and probably because we dropped our current ones.

KGB7

Suspended
Jun 15, 2017
Rockville, MD
Emoji Movie Made $172Mill worldwide. $87Mill in US.

Apple knows exactly what it's doing, how and who to target as it's buyers.
If people want poop, you better sell them poop, while it's hot and there is demand for it.
[doublepost=1505323453][/doublepost]
I’m 40 and the talking poop is the only reason I’m buying the X. I’m not even joking.

My prime example.

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
I feel this stuff is extremely gimmicky and shouldn't be a "feature". It should be an app! There are already plenty of these type of things on the app store. Once the new phone comes out, you'll see a lot more in store too.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I understand Apple wants to reach as many markets as possible and the animojis are a carrot to bait potential buyers. It also seems like a first step toward Augemented Reality...

While I use emojis on occasion while texting one person, I would not use this if I bought the X.

I think more important features could be touted, especially in a Keynote, but Apple is Apple. I just want the phones to work for my needs with a little bit more if I decide to use the phone for more stuff; but not for games or emoji.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.