Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zterm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
I have a MacPro 5.1.
I have Mojave installed, but am still using HighSierra most of the time.

A few days ago I installed a new USB PCI card and swapped my old GTX 680 for a Radeon 580x.

After the PCI card swaps, the only software I recall hastily installing –after receiving a notification– is an update from Logitech that doesn't appear to have installed anything but asked for administrator privileges. I even removed NVIDIA / CUDA drivers.

Everything works correctly, but when I turn off the computer, I notice that in addition to taking much longer than usual, a kind of double S-shaped video artifact/animation appears on a black screen. Here's a youtube video in case someone has seen something similar.

double_s.png

Maybe it's just a video glitch at shutdown (its a flashed 580x) but the fact that only happens with HighSierra is a bit intriguing.
I wonder if some malware may have found its way to the logout items.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

zterm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Do you remember any details on how it started, what is it and how you fixed it?

JedNZ

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2015
Deep South
Isn’t it Apple’s spinning wheel, but just affected by a graphical skew? That’s what I put it down to when I’ve had it on occasions (not recently seen though).

1608147323649.gif

Reactions: mick2

zterm

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
To be honest, I'd never put it down to that! And it makes a lot of sense. However, I'd like to know what is the cause, as it does not happen when running Mojave.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.