Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rforno

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2017
For years I've had my university GMail workspace account on my iOS/IPad Apple Mail working perfectly with Gmail push using m.google.com and/or my uni's regular imap settings. The first week of IOS/IPAD 18 things worked fine, but suddenly it's no longer pushing and the best I can do is 15-minute-Fetch.

Anyone else notice this happening in the past few days? (We know IOS push support for/from GMail has been lacking/problematic for years)

I notice my IPad is no longer supporting the GMail push that was working just fine last week even after upgrading to v18, too.

yeahtyeaht

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
Germany
Push with Google Accounts in combination with the Apple Mail app hasn't been working for many many years. You are mixing up something.

rforno

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2017
Push with Google Accounts in combination with the Apple Mail app hasn't been working for many many years. You are mixing up something.

Nope. There was a 'workaround' involving setting it up as an Exchange account and yet still being able to receive push notifications - I didn't understand how it worked, but it did.

GuruGuy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2024
Nope. There was a 'workaround' involving setting it up as an Exchange account and yet still being able to receive push notifications - I didn't understand how it worked, but it did.
Nope gmail push on the apple mail app went away years ago. As long as you had the old device that was grandfathered you were good. Once you changed devices you lost it.
Without using the gmail app and get real push, best you can do with apple mail app is fetch 15 mins.

Currently only iCloud and MS Exchange email accounts send push notifications. Gmail did at one time, but they stopped.

Last edited:

rforno

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2017
Yeah I know push has gone away and/or been ducky for years. However, while I'm not saying anyone's lying, I *was* getting push-type realtime badging of my Mail icon related to my uni GMail account on both IOS/IPad mail until just a few days ago. Now when I send a message to myself at work it may not badge the icon for 15 minutes ... last week it was nearly instantaneous.

ubinko

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2020
Yeah I know push has gone away and/or been ducky for years. However, while I'm not saying anyone's lying, I *was* getting push-type realtime badging of my Mail icon related to my uni GMail account on both IOS/IPad mail until just a few days ago. Now when I send a message to myself at work it may not badge the icon for 15 minutes ... last week it was nearly instantaneous.
You're not the only one. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mail-not-downloading.2436982/?post=33441485#post-33441485

rforno

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 18, 2017
Yup, they did.

Per angry Redditt post "As of yesterday, 9/23/24, Google (Gmail) has dropped supprt for Google Sync ("Exchange" email account setup method). Officially, this was supposed to happen 9/30/24, but seems to be happeneing to many folks as of yesterday. "

So it's Google's fault for the push problem I reported this morning. Doesn't explain the other GMail deleting/syncing problems I've been seeing today, though.

see https://support.google.com/a/answer/9750173?hl=en&fl=1&sjid=13525616775337629858-NC for more.

Reactions: HouseLannister

GuruGuy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2024
Yup, they did.

Per angry Redditt post "As of yesterday, 9/23/24, Google (Gmail) has dropped supprt for Google Sync ("Exchange" email account setup method). Officially, this was supposed to happen 9/30/24, but seems to be happeneing to many folks as of yesterday. "

So it's Google's fault for the push problem I reported this morning. Doesn't explain the other GMail deleting/syncing problems I've been seeing today, though.

see https://support.google.com/a/answer/9750173?hl=en&fl=1&sjid=13525616775337629858-NC for more.
Starting in Fall of 2024, Google Workspace accounts will no longer support Google Sync.

As said already, all the regular accounts lost it a LONG TIME AGO.

Couple of other threads here and elsewhere about the sync issues and it's not just google it's happening too. That one is most likey an ios 18 problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.