Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
When I got my apple watch a few years ago, I never wanted to be bothered with a PIN so I never used apple-pay on the watch (I regret that now).

I just configured it so it unlocks when phone unlocks and stays unlocked while on my wrist.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE how easy it is to use apple pay on the watch instead of on the phone while wearing a mask.

QUESTION: did it always have those unlock / skip pin feature or is that new?

(Please say new so I don't feel stupid for not knowing about it till now).

Thanks for your historical knowledge of the apple watch!!!

Mike

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I just configured it so it unlocks when phone unlocks and stays unlocked while on my wrist.

I LOVE LOVE LOVE how easy it is to use apple pay on the watch instead of on the phone while wearing a mask.

QUESTION: did it always have those unlock / skip pin feature or is that new?
This is not a new feature for the watch.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
The original S3 was my first watch but even back then, I’ve never used a pin aside from when you first put the watch back on after a charge. Put the pin in once and it stays unlocked until I take it off again.

So yep, no pin required for Apple Pay isn’t new. Nice when you discover features though, so don’t worry about not knowing, just enjoy it now you can ?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
it's been that way since the first version

you don't even have to enter the pin on the watch, you can set it so that unlocking the phone unlocks the watch,
So it's put watch on, and hold phone in front of your face ( touchID also works)

CavemanMike

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 8, 2013
What I don't know can fill a book (or perhaps an ebook).

This is just a good reminder for myself to really dig in where possible and not just scratch the surface!

Reactions: Prpolo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.