Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
What's the difference between the regular aluminum watch and the Nike watch? Just the faces? Is the Nike stuff in addition to everything the regular watch comes with, or do you only get certain features with each one?
I'm 100% getting a new one for Christmas as my original is getting quite old. And it'll definitely be aluminum and 44mm. Just not sure between the Nike and regular one.

pasadena

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2012
Seattle, WA
The face, the band (unless they decide to release them as they did last year), and the Nike+ app is preinstalled (but you can install it yourself on a non-Nike watch)

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Just the faces. And the Nike app comes preinstalled, but you can do that yourself easily on the other watch. Preorder is also still tonight, but they don't launch until I think 10/5, vs the regular which is released on 9/21.

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
That is correct!
Cool. Seems I'll probably go for the Nike model then. That way I'll have extra options for faces at the very least.
Only thing is I'm planning on getting one for Christmas, and hoping at scoring a promotion like $50+ off, or a nice gift card to go with it at least. A lot of retailers don't stock the Nike model, and Apple isn't going to run any deals.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is the difference between the two?

Are there any features the Apple version has that the Nike version doesn’t? Or are there any features the Nike version has that the Apple version doesn’t?

Is all the yarn on the Nike Sport Loop options reflective?

And does the Nike version ship out the same day as the Apple version?

Very confused at what the differences are between the two.

Thanks!

johnyslats

macrumors 68020
Mar 14, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Nike watches will come 2 weeks after launch on 5th October. They also have exclusive watch faces and bands not available with the 'standard' model (most can be bought separately)

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Additionally, there are two other minor differences between the Nike AW and the regular AW (at least the S3 and S2 versions).

1. NRC comes preloaded on the Nike AW, whereas you have to install it on a regular AW. Additionally, you cannot delete NRC off of the Nike AW, although you can hide it so it doesn't show up.

2. On a Nike AW, if you say "Hey Siri, let's go on a run," NRC will open up and start. On a regular AW, saying that to Siri will open up the stock Workout app.

Neither of these should really sway you one way or the other as they are very minor details.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I like my Nike+ band. Also, I noticed this morning that eBates discount on Nike’s site is 9%.
[doublepost=1536873650][/doublepost]I like my Nike+ band. Also, I noticed this morning that eBates discount on Nike’s site is 9%.

*That* would be a difference worth paying attention to.

I bought the S3 Nike+ because I liked the band better, but I swapped it out for the blue/black version, so... ;)

Reactions: scmill

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
I think Im getting the Nike version just to get the black loop band without the multicolor to it.

ppenn

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2013
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I'm finding that the only difference with the Nike version of the watch is that it comes with the nike run club app already installed (but you can install it on a standard edition?) and watch faces that you can use on the Nike Edition (but you can also use the other watch faces from the standard edition). Is this correct? Looking to maybe purchase a series 3.

Thanks in advance.

KarimLeVallois

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2014
London
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think I'm finding that the only difference with the Nike version of the watch is that it comes with the nike run club app already installed (but you can install it on a standard edition?) and watch faces that you can use on the Nike Edition (but you can also use the other watch faces from the standard edition). Is this correct? Looking to maybe purchase a series 3.

Thanks in advance.

Yep, plus the Nike sports band/loop.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
Yes.

You can also get a sport loop with reflecting yarn woven into it, which AFAIK isn't sold separately.

3rdiguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
Different bands and extra watchfaces, also Nike specific complication. Same price.

MacWorld78

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2012
Nike+ will come with Nike logo back of the AW3 but I'm not sure about AW4 but i assume it will be.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
The Nike watch has always had "extras" for the same price without anything taken away. The extras I'm aware of are the Nike watch faces and you can use the Nike Volt color on some of the standard watch faces, which can't be done on the non-Nike watch.

So, as long as you want a watch with the metal color/material combination that comes in the Nike version, I feel it doesn't make sense to go with the "regular" watch.

And you can consider that the exclusive Nike band may be sold for a relatively significant amount. Last year, I sold the Nike black sport loop on eBay for $140. And the crimson band was going for around the same price. This was way before these bands were available to purchase on their own. I don't anticipate that the new reflective bands will go for that much but might be enough to sell and cover the cost of a different band.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.