Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

QuantumLo0p

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2006
U.S.A.
I was looking at the two Nikon 18-200's and I noticed they are only about $60 difference between the two. Can somebody clarify what the differences are between these lenses?

Thanks in advance for any help.
:)

TWLreal

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2006
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0907/0907300218mm200mm.asp

The only difference is a supposedly better mechanism to help zoom creep, a lock switch to keep it locked to 18mm and new coatings.
The revised version features a new zoom mechanism to combat 'zoom creep' (one of the most common user complaints about the original lens), along with a zoom lock switch to keep the lens compact when carried. Improved 'Super Integrated Coating' promises to reduce flare and ghosting while size, weight and optical construction remain unchanged.
They both sould be optically identical.

Get the II version if that makes you feel any better.

skrutzen

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2007
I got the original one at Best Buy a month ago on clearance for $550 new. I don't regret my choice. The lens does have lens creep but as long as you set it to 18mm when walking around it won't be an issue. It only creeps when somewhere in the middle between 18-200mm. At either extreme it doesn't creep. I personally think it's worth it and haven't regretted the decision. It's been a great lens.
Also, when I was researching it, supposedly (and from more than one source) the VR on the old one is VR II, Nikon just didn't promote it as such.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.