Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
i have a few people on my ignore list here at Mac Rumors for my sanity. ;) However, I've just realized in my threads I while I can see people clearly talking to someone, I can't tell if they failed to quote the person and they are just assuming the person knows who they are responding to, or they did quote someone on my ignore list, but I can't see that. Sometimes I've made false assumptions about some of these posts.

It would be helpful like the times where it indicates someone ignored has responded to me, that the ignored people's posts to other people are identified by a label showing that a post is there from an ignored forum member. But I don't want to read their post unless i choose too. Thanks for your consideration.

Last edited:

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
The only workaround be to scroll right down to the bottom of the page and click 'Show Ignored Content'. That will then make any ignored comments visible.

I like it how it is at the moment; a person you ignore is completely ignored in every sense of the word. They could quote your post a hundred times and you wouldn't even know it. Bliss.

Reactions: Weaselboy

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Person A is on your ignore list, person B is not. Person B quotes person A and adds his/her reply. You'll see person B's reply, but you won't see his/her quote of person A.

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Most people in my ignore list tend to get suspended or never interest me in what they have to say. So replies to the abyss don't really concern me either.
It would be nice if the 'Show Ignored Content' was in the Alerts page to see if that person is still annoying/insulting me or actually having a sane conversation.

Reactions: Arran

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I use tapatalk so there is no button to use to show ignored content is there?

I like the idea of showing the ignored poster as just quotations with the word ignored, blocked, etc.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Plot twist... @Huntn has you both on his ignore list and can't see your replies. :p:D
Well, that is his choice and I applaud him for taking the initiative. However, I'll refrain from replying to him in the future, no use in wasting time and effort with a reply that he won't see. Thank you.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The only workaround be to scroll right down to the bottom of the page and click 'Show Ignored Content'. That will then make any ignored comments visible.

I like it how it is at the moment; a person you ignore is completely ignored in every sense of the word. They could quote your post a hundred times and you wouldn't even know it. Bliss.

Thanks, I'll try this.
Plot twist... @Huntn has you both on his ignore list and can't see your replies. :p:D
Not true! :p

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thanks, I'll try this.
I think that's just a short comming with the ignore list, regardless of software MR is running, i.e., xen vs. VB.

On another forum, I have a couple of people on my ignore list and I finally had to remove them from the ignore list because of what you posted. The thread lacked continuity and it was difficult to follow along.

Reactions: Huntn

AlliFlowers

macrumors 601
Jan 1, 2011
L.A. (Lower Alabama)
I only have one person on my ignore list, mostly because his posts got to be so lengthy, filled with graphs and memes he was wasting space. Others I can ignore the old fashioned way, and just keep scrolling.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I don't have anyone on my ignore list - not that it is not tempting at times to place some individual there - but I generally scroll at speed past some of their comments and tend, instead, to ignore them, as @AlliFlowers has said - the old fashioned way.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think that's just a short comming with the ignore list, regardless of software MR is running, i.e., xen vs. VB.

On another forum, I have a couple of people on my ignore list and I finally had to remove them from the ignore list because of what you posted. The thread lacked continuity and it was difficult to follow along.

The show ignored content button seems to be an adequate work around.
[doublepost=1485180860][/doublepost]
I only have one person on my ignore list, mostly because his posts got to be so lengthy, filled with graphs and memes he was wasting space. Others I can ignore the old fashioned way, and just keep scrolling.

I don't have anyone on my ignore list - not that it is not tempting at times to place some individual there - but I generally scroll at speed past some of their comments and tend, instead, to ignore them, as @AlliFlowers has said - the old fashioned way.

The primary reasons people end up on my ignore list is because they are too caustic, usually in political discussions and more significantly I feel too compelled to enter into long, extended circular arguments with them, wasting my time. It actually makes the forum a better place to participate in by not seeing some of the most ridiculous posts, granted from my perspective. :D

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Haswell
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The show ignored content button seems to be an adequate work around.
[doublepost=1485180860][/doublepost]

The primary reasons people end up on my ignore list is because they are too caustic, usually in political discussions and more significantly I feel too compelled to enter into long, extended circular arguments with them, wasting my time. It actually makes the forum a better place to participate in by not seeing some of the most ridiculous posts, granted from my perspective. :D

Oh, I agree with you, and I can see the attractions of the ignore button, and am sorely tempted, on occasion - for the very reasons you describe - to use it.

I don't use it - not because I like the insulting and nasty posts - which are usually entirely devoid of much by way of intellectual content as well, as insult is often substituted for debate - needless to say, I don't like them - but because it is instructive for me to try to understand that such perspectives exist.

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
How do you know if you are on someones ignore list ?

Occasionally, I'll reply back to someone with a question of my own and I will hear nothing. I realize that they probably didn't want to reply but it would be nice if you knew they could see your post (i.e. you knew that they didn't have you on ignore). Also, it would be nice to not waste time replying to a post they will never see :) ?

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
The ignore list doesn't seem to work on tapatalk either

Yeah. That's why I don't bother using it. I'm always on Tapatalk. It's not like it's that hard to just scroll over someone and not respond to them.

That and I think I've got thick skin, you won't offend me. If I'm ignoring someone it's because I can't understand their point of view, can't relate at all, or have nothing in common with them on that topic.

Edit: I never ignore a person forever.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
When you put someone on your ignore list does that person know that they are on your ignore list?

Last edited:

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
When you put someone on your ignore list does that person know that they are on your ignore list?
I need to ignore two people. They are very strange and they think that on the short yellow bus. I don't have any more time for their games more. Thank you

I don't think they do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.