Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Well... I didn't make it through the whole video - it seemed like a waste of time. It's mostly just a guy standing there, stating the same stuff you can easily find elsewhere on the web. No real point in having a video presentation versus just text.

I'm not saying the information isn't correct - just that the presentation really doesn't justify using video as the medium.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Well... I didn't make it through the whole video - it seemed like a waste of time. It's mostly just a guy standing there, stating the same stuff you can easily find elsewhere on the web. No real point in having a video presentation versus just text.

I'm not saying the information isn't correct - just that the presentation really doesn't justify using video as the medium.

perhaps, but maybe someone will find it useful. i know i did.

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
The S3 is an excellent compact camera. It has some problems focusing in low-light, but there is no dSLR configuration that can be compared to its available focal lengths and f/2.8-3.5 aperture.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
The S3 is an excellent compact camera. It has some problems focusing in low-light, but there is no dSLR configuration that can be compared to its available focal lengths and f/2.8-3.5 aperture.

Depends on what aspect of f/2.8-3.5 you're concerned about. Every 35mm lens on the market could produce shallower depth of field than 2.8-3.5 on 1/2.5" CCD.

a point-and-shoot digital camera with a 1/1.8″ sensor (7.18 mm × 5.32 mm) at a normal focal length and f/2.8 has the same DOF as a 35 mm camera with a normal lens at f/13.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field#DOF_vs._format_size

As for the 36-432 (35mm equivalent) zoom range, that's a similar although not as useful as the 14x range covered by Tamron's 18-250 f/3.5-6.3 (27-375 equivalent):

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/18250_diII.asp

arogge

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2002
Tatooine
Depends on what aspect of f/2.8-3.5 you're concerned about.

The problem with many compact cameras on the market is that they cannot freeze action nor focus accurately, because they have an aperture of f/4.5 or slower on the long end of the zoom. There is no 40-400 mm f/2.8-3.5 zoom lens on the market, especially in the size of the S3.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
The problem with many compact cameras on the market is that they cannot freeze action nor focus accurately, because they have an aperture of f/4.5 or slower on the long end of the zoom. There is no 40-400 mm f/2.8-3.5 zoom lens on the market, especially in the size of the S3.

DSLRs have much better high ISO performance than compact cameras (not to mention higher ISO ranges).

As for size, yes, that's the whole point, compact cameras are smaller.

Also, the big advantage of DSLRs is interchangeable lenses, which would easily allow one to cover this range and more with f/2.8 lenses (or lower)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.