Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sud

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Australia
Am keen on getting either one of these cameras as a second dslr, I have just purchased a D300 with a 17-55mm lens which is fantastic, but have always been keen on the Digilux 3 or Panasonic DMC-L1.

I intend using it on the odd occasion as I will primarily use the D300, will the image quality be comparable to the D300, how would you compare the build quality and ease of use to the D300. I love the old retro styled camera if images and operation are comparable might just get it.

Most of you would probably say spend the extra cash on lenses for the D300 but that will come in time, right now am keen on the L1

Thanks

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
The two cameras are basically the same except the name on it, one is Leica and the other is Panasonic.

The link to all the spec is here and here.

Both of them take 4/3 lens. There were the first DSLR to have liveview with the Olympus E-330. The kit lens that comes with it, has image stabilizer built in. The built quality is great so does the image quality of that lens which is rated one of the top in 4/3.

Naim135

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
St Helens UK
Dont get your logic for this

:confused:

I currently have a Leica Digilux 1 which has served me very well for the past 5 years and I am now looking to purchse a D300 Body with a selection of lenses . As you are looking for a second DSLR surely it makes more sense to get another D300 or if you want to spend a bit less a D200 or if you really want to push the boat out get a D3. if as i suspect are looking at getting your hands on a Leica lens camera go for an M8 or if you dont want to spend loads of cash chenck out ebay etc for Digilux 2
:D

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Am keen on getting either one of these cameras as a second dslr, I have just purchased a D300 with a 17-55mm lens which is fantastic, but have always been keen on the Digilux 3 or Panasonic DMC-L1.

I intend using it on the odd occasion as I will primarily use the D300, will the image quality be comparable to the D300, how would you compare the build quality and ease of use to the D300. I love the old retro styled camera if images and operation are comparable might just get it.

Retro style? this is a modern Olimpus SLR in a Panasonic/Leica skin. If I were going to have two cameras I'd want them to be different. If you want a more compact camera get the leica dlux3 with it's wide sensor or go for the M8 But a four thirsd system SLR is to much llike the D300. Maybe you just want a smaller body. Get the D40.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Love This Camera!

I have an L1 with the kit lens (2.8-3.5, 14-50) and the zoom lens (3.5-5.6, 14-150) and I love it.

I'm not a pro photographer, but this camera has helped me take some beautiful photos.

I feel in love with this camera when it was introduced for the retro look and feel and analog controls.

The D300 is a more advanced, technically superior camera, but the L1 or Digilux 3 fall close in image quality and have that "shooters camera" feel with the aperture ring on the lens and shutter speed on the dial.

Also the Leica glass is unbelievable. I just got the 14-150 lens, and from a few test shots it appears to produce just as great images as the 14-50.

The four-thirds standard is picking up really good, and because of the diversity there are some really cool lens choices. Obviously there are plenty of choices for Nikon, but its cool to have 3 great manufacturers like Panasonic/Leica, Olympus, and Sigma (not as high end, but good). Right now there are over 30 lenses available.

See here: http://www.four-thirds.org/en/products/lense.html

Below is a nice sharp shot, but it's been reduced for the forum.

Attachments

• P1010346.jpg
    P1010346.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 171

sud

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Australia
Thanks neonart,

Great to have a nice simple reply with facts! after reading everything I could over the past 2 weeks have decided on the M8, the Digilux is a fantastic camera on all counts, I have been fortunate enough to try it out at Teds in the city last weekend it looks and feels amazing.

My choice of the M8 is because its small, light and compact and also takes arguably better pics then more expensive dSLR cameras, I will use this as my everyday camera and the D300 just for when I need fast FPS and an ultra wide lens.

Thanks

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
Thanks neonart,

Great to have a nice simple reply with facts! after reading everything I could over the past 2 weeks have decided on the M8, the Digilux is a fantastic camera on all counts, I have been fortunate enough to try it out at Teds in the city last weekend it looks and feels amazing.

My choice of the M8 is because its small, light and compact and also takes arguably better pics then more expensive dSLR cameras, I will use this as my everyday camera and the D300 just for when I need fast FPS and an ultra wide lens.

Thanks

Thats awesome! You'll get the best of every world with an M8. Portability, true Leica construction, leica glass, and decades of engineering and design.

I love it in Silver Chrome! It looks so 1953!

Congratulations, I'm sure you'll enjoy it for years to come!

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm confused, always. But can't the M8 do wide and as far as FPS go....how often do you need something like that. Regardless, the question was not about the M8, it was about the Digilux or the DMC. It is my opinion, and I could be wrong, but not all Leica lenses are created equal though the DMC has a Leica lens, I wonder if it has the same lens the Digilux has.

neonart

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2002
Near a Mac since 1993.
I'm confused, always. But can't the M8 do wide and as far as FPS go....how often do you need something like that. Regardless, the question was not about the M8, it was about the Digilux or the DMC. It is my opinion, and I could be wrong, but not all Leica lenses are created equal though the DMC has a Leica lens, I wonder if it has the same lens the Digilux has.

The M8 is in another category all together. Since sud already has a great DSLR, he's getting a smaller rangefinder for day to day use that can produce photos that are as good, if not better than most DSLRs. It's really a wise choice if you can afford a camera like the M8.
------
Yes, the Digilux 3 and DMC-L1 are identical in every way except that each company changes the JPEG rendering to what they think their custumer base is more likely to enjoy. The Digilux also has some extra QC and a longer warranty.

The lenses are 100% identical with only the Lumix brand on them.

Both the cameras and lenses are built by Panasonic to Leica's standards.

srf4real

macrumors 68040
Jul 25, 2006
paradise beach FL
I'm glad you found a good choice sud, the M8 seems a lot more practical for your second camera. The L1 would be more like a novelty for you, already shooting with a D300 when specs require... that said, I have an L1 and it has some of the best features available to dSLR in my opinion. Of course the Leica 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 lens is second to none in its class... but it is the camera I have fallen in love with. I have big hands, and one of my peeves is menu diving for frequently used settings adjustment. The L1 magnesium alloy body, with a shutter speed dial and aperture ring compatibility, has a dedicated button for ISO, exposure adj., flash adj., and white balance smartly placed where my left thumb can easily hit them and the right thumb to the scroll wheel makes it happen... two programmable fn buttons... two position bounce flash... a dust buster that works... I guess what I'm trying to say is for a guy like myself who wants to keep my eyes on the composition and not on the menu display, it is perfect. Image quality is superb (as good as the lens on the camera). It does also have a few checks in the negative column... probably most importantly that at high ISO the 4/3 sensor is poorest in class for noise. I shoot in the sun, so it doesn't bother me, but 800 - 1600 ISO are going to cause you problems with this camera. The viewfinder is also very tiny and dark. I am hoping that Panasonic makes some improvements to this line with something like an Olympus E-3 sensor, larger/ brighter ovf, quicker fps and a higher buffer, I would buy an improved model without hesitation!;)

Here I submit one sample... click for larger image.
_1050313.jpg

Lumix L1 + ZD 70-300mm f/4-5.6

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Agreed ^. Leica makes some of the most intuitive and easy-to-use cameras on the market. I also have big hands, and part of the reason I chose a D300 over say a D80 was because I didn't want to go menu diving when I wanted to get a shot.

sud

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 26, 2008
Australia
Fantastic shot srf4real

Will be posting some sample shots as soon as it arrives, no doubt there will be a steep learning curve for me! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.