Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
Hello everyone,

I am doing some general research on people who manage large amounts of creative content.

So I am posting here to ask "How do you manage your assets so that you can exactly know where its at and make it easy to retrieve it?"

How do you break it down for yourself:date, category, file type, etc.?

If you are given 20,000 pictures only sorted by year, what will you do to create a systematic order?

If you don't mind giving an image or some hierarchy guide for someone to see your mode of organizing your digital assets?

Reason I am asking is I am taking a course dealing with area and I want to get some personal experiences so I know how to approach my project of creating digital library methodology system.

Thank you.

kitki83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2004
Los Angeles
Today no one "organizes or "sorts" content. What they do is assign meta data and then search.

I am noticing that too from viewing the link given and reading your comments. This is good information since I can follow how Delicious works. Good sources of information for my research. Just that I want to research how meta tags can work with other forms of digital assets.

Thanks

troyhark

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2008
Today no one "organizes or "sorts" content. What they do is assign meta data and then search.
Not the case. Sensible people sort data by date/name and then add metadata. This reduces dependency on specific software/OSes and makes your filing far more robust. This is the reason why Lightroom quickly added folder structure to LR when the Beta showed not having them was a big mistake.
Also metadata can be next to useless at finding specifics if you repeatedly shoot the same material, which is fairly common. Besides adding detailed metadata is so wretchedly time consuming, most people will rarely do it in the real world.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.