Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mark2288

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Sorry if this type of question has been asked tons of times before but I feel I can get a good recommendation from MacRumors users. Anyhow, I currently use a P&S Canon SD450 to take pictures - I take pictures of my band at different events. The camera's been through a lot and of late takes a long time to focus/takes photos with a lot of noise in them.

So, I've been looking at new cameras - nothing serious like an SLR but basically what I'm looking for...

1 - quick off to taking photo time (I wanna be able to turn it on and snap a shot of something rather quickly)
2 - quick time from shot to shot

I've been looking at cameras like the Canon G9 which is dSLR-like, but thought perhaps the G9 would be a little overkill and I could just got for one of the SDxxx with IS.

Any recommendations? Feel free to ask some more questions if it would help narrow it down a little better.

dwl017

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2007
Murder Capitol DC
Sorry if this type of question has been asked tons of times before but I feel I can get a good recommendation from MacRumors users. Anyhow, I currently use a P&S Canon SD450 to take pictures - I take pictures of my band at different events. The camera's been through a lot and of late takes a long time to focus/takes photos with a lot of noise in them.

So, I've been looking at new cameras - nothing serious like an SLR but basically what I'm looking for...

1 - quick off to taking photo time (I wanna be able to turn it on and snap a shot of something rather quickly)
2 - quick time from shot to shot

I've been looking at cameras like the Canon G9 which is dSLR-like, but thought perhaps the G9 would be a little overkill and I could just got for one of the SDxxx with IS.

Any recommendations? Feel free to ask some more questions if it would help narrow it down a little better.

Go to DP Review

http://www.dpreview.com/

One thing to keep in mind when buying any point and shoot is that you can not buy your way out of the small sensor which is in all PS cams even the $500 G9 its got the same small sensor that comes in the $179 model.

mark2288

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Go to DP Review

http://www.dpreview.com/

One thing to keep in mind when buying any point and shoot is that you can not buy your way out of the small sensor which is in all PS cams even the $500 G9 its got the same small sensor that comes in the $179 model.

I've been looking around dpreview for awhile now and was on the fence over the G9 vs. the rebel xti since they are in about the same price range. My only worry about the xti is that it may be too clunky to carry on a lanyard around my neck...

If the G9 has the same sensor, and I opt not for the xti, could someone recommend a good PS camera?

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
I've been looking around dpreview for awhile now and was on the fence over the G9 vs. the rebel xti since they are in about the same price range. My only worry about the xti is that it may be too clunky to carry on a lanyard around my neck...

If the G9 has the same sensor, and I opt not for the xti, could someone recommend a good PS camera?

You should check out the Olympus e410. I just got this sucker and let me tell you, it is a great size camera to toss around your neck and cost less than the G9!

The E410 is a DSLR though, not P & S, but has many auto modes. :)

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW

If a point and shoot is what you want, then it seems like the G9 is a good little camera (if you don't mind spending the money). It seems to be quite popular with some rather high-visibility pro photographers as a "walk around town" camera.

Darwin Wiggett is a pretty well known nature photographer, and wrote about his experiences with the G9 in this Singh-Ray blog posting.

I don't have a small point and shoot - right now if I walk around with a camera it's my Nikon D70 dSLR. But that does require some sort of bag - even the biggest set of cargo pants won't carry my camera. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.