Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman2790

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Texas
i'm in the market to buy just a cheap 5-7mp digital camera. What do you recommend? Is the sony-cybershot a reliable camera, preferably the dsc-s500 model because its within my price range. I tried it out and i liked the ease of use, but i would like some recommendations on which brand and which camera would be the way to go.

Thanks in advance.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Cheap digicam? I don't think it really matters as long as you get a decent brand. Sonys are quite good, although I don't like the camera body as much as with other brands. Same with cheap Canons.

G4scott

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2002
USA_WA
I don't know if I would go the Sony route, seeing as they've had problems with recent models.

Canon and Nikon seem to be the leader of the pack, but Olympus, Samsung and Panasonic also have some cool P&S cameras out.

My advice: Go to an actual camera store, and not a big-box retailer, where they want to sell you the most expensive thing. Most good camera specialty stores will be happy to help you find the best camera for your needs, and they usually have better displays allowing you to actually use the camera before buying it.

miloblithe

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Washington, DC
And in the $150-200, I think the cameras are going to be fairly similar. I'd definitely go to a store and play with the cameras, and see which ones feel the best.

And read the sticky on this page about links to camera reviews. Read lots of reviews. While you don't have to take their advice, just reading the reviews will give you a lot of information about things to look for and aspects to consider.

phungy

macrumors 68020
Dec 5, 2006
FL/NY/TX
I have the Fujifilm Finepix Z2, Newegg has the Z3 for $175 and its awesome for an ultra-compact digital camera. Starts up lightning fast, takes 2 pictures at the same time (with/without flash) and its as small (if not smaller) than a deck of cards.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
definitly the fuji f20. i was just in that boat and after reading all reviews, this is clearly the best for the money at that range. I spent like 2 weeks researching cameras and yea I'm very happy with it. camera cost me 198 at sams

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
You can get the F20 for about $160. But I would prefer the F30 for $210.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.