Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wwe2008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
I am attending a series of concerts soon and was wondering which camera is best to get the best pictures in low light conditions etc, my price range is up around £120-£140
Thanks

Kronie

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2008
That's not going to get you much. A used compact point and shoot. Im assuming you cant use flash?
You need something with high ISO and low noise or a low F stop, the problem is that P&S cameras that have features like those are more $$$ I think.

I have a canon sd800 or something like that, I never use it. Its not very good in low light. Too noisy. Sorry I'm not more help.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
you aren't going to get what you're looking for in a point-and-shoot. the only ones that remotely have a chance were discontinued awhile ago - Fujifilm F30 or F31. they run at about 200 USD now, used.

wwe2008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
you aren't going to get what you're looking for in a point-and-shoot. the only ones that remotely have a chance were discontinued awhile ago - Fujifilm F30 or F31. they run at about 200 USD now, used.
it's just for concerts at the O2 arena, they dont have to be the best pictures but decent non blurry ones. I also want good close up - which cameras I said have the best zoom??
Thanks

I have seen this Fijifilm FinePix S1000fd any good??
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-Fi...-Camera/dp/B00152A06G/ref=dp_cp_ob_ce_title_1

Plus what are the O2 arena rules on cameras? (UK)

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
read the specs to get more info on each camera, it will tell you things like iso (higher the better for concerts) and the zoom (bigger numbers mean closer)

As to which one out of yours is best (and note I agree with the others a compact isn't really for concerts) I would say the Sony DSC-H10 although if I was forced I would most likely go for the Fuji Finepix S8100fd in your price range.

Remember longer zooms mean more camera shake meaning more blur.

wwe2008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
read the specs to get more info on each camera, it will tell you things like iso (higher the better for concerts) and the zoom (bigger numbers mean closer)

As to which one out of yours is best (and note I agree with the others a compact isn't really for concerts) I would say the Sony DSC-H10 although if I was forced I would most likely go for the Fuji Finepix S8100fd in your price range.

Remember longer zooms mean more camera shake meaning more blur.
The S8100fd has digital anti blur but 12x optical zoom and 10MP. However the Samsung NV9 has 10MP 5x Optical zoom and a digital/optical anti blur??
Im confused!! :D

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
There's the new Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR, which has binning.

Hopefully this will finally be a replacement for the F30 and F31fd.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If you want a Fuji bridge, you have to find a discontinued S6000fd/S6500fd (two different names for the same camera).

But are you sure they'll let you in with that?

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
The S8100fd has digital anti blur but 12x optical zoom and 10MP. However the Samsung NV9 has 10MP 5x Optical zoom and a digital/optical anti blur??
Im confused!! :D
this is all covered by a simple google :rolleyes:

(10)MP - number of pixels in a picture - higher is larger image and file size
optical zoom - how much the lens moves/zooms in
digital zoom - how far software can zoom in
digital - by software
optical - mechanical or by machine - usually better

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
If they let you in, a used D40 or D50 kit will set you back around £200.

But that won't give you close up. Then your budget bet would be to forget the D40 and get a cheap plain AF zoom with a range thought for full frame, from Nikon, or even cheaper from a third-party vendor (third party become really cheap used).

wwe2008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
this is all covered by a simple google :rolleyes:

(10)MP - number of pixels in a picture - higher is larger image and file size
optical zoom - how much the lens moves/zooms in
digital zoom - how far software can zoom in
digital - by software
optical - mechanical or by machine - usually better

So the Samsung NV9 is okay for concerts?? It has:
Body material metal.

10m pixels.

5 x optical zoom.

5 x digital zoom.

10Mb internal memory.

2.7in LCD screen.

Digital anti-blur.

Face detection - 9 faces.

Continuous shooting - 2.5 fps.

In-camera red eye fix.

Memory card format SD.

Movie capture with sound.

Cables to output to TV.

Maximum ISO range 3200.

14 scene modes.

Portable media player (movies, MP3 player).

Smile shutter.

Self timer.

Built-in flash.

USB connection.

PictBridge compatible.

Accessories included in box - strap, USB cables, software, headphones and user manual.

Lithium Ion battery supplied.

Weight 139 grams.

Depth of camera when switched off 2.1cm.

Manufacturer's 2 year guarantee.

LeviG

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2006
Norfolk, UK
I went for one that wasn't on your list and suggested a different camera from your list, both of which are closer to an slr in function and design yet here you are going after a small compact type camera which no one is recommending.

If you want that camera that badly then it should be ok but you would get better results with the other camera's suggested.

wwe2008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
I went for one that wasn't on your list and suggested a different camera from your list, both of which are closer to an slr in function and design yet here you are going after a small compact type camera which no one is recommending.

If you want that camera that badly then it should be ok but you would get better results with the other camera's suggested.

What one was that?
Plus I need to be able to sneak it in to O2 arena!!

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Nothing in that price range will ever give you results that you're really happy with.

Low light concerts are some of the most difficult things to shoot, and usually involve getting up close with a camera that can perform well in low light.

campus-5.jpg

campus-7.jpg

These were taken by me backstage durring a concert that I was working a few months ago, using a Canon 40D and a 50mm f/1.4. I had to crank up the sensitivity, and shoot wide open to get the first shot, and even then it took me quite a few tries to get just a few shots that didn't suffer from bad motion blur.

So if you're dreaming of getting beautiful shots from the other side of an arena with a £200 point and shoot, I am sorry but it just isn't going to happen.

wwe2008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Nothing in that price range will ever give you results that you're really happy with.

Low light concerts are some of the most difficult things to shoot, and usually involve getting up close with a camera that can perform well in low light.

campus-5.jpg

campus-7.jpg

These were taken by me backstage durring a concert that I was working a few months ago, using a Canon 40D and a 50mm f/1.4. I had to crank up the sensitivity, and shoot wide open to get the first shot, and even then it took me quite a few tries to get just a few shots that didn't suffer from bad motion blur.

So if you're dreaming of getting beautiful shots from the other side of an arena with a £200 point and shoot, I am sorry but it just isn't going to happen.
It's the MJ concerts!
So what do you think??

wwe2008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
The O2 doesnt allow the pro looking cameras plus sometimes the ones where the lens moves in and out I think its no bigger than 35 mm lens

wwe2008

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2008
Are any of the Panasonic Lumix cameras any good. Jessops have some good un expensive digital cameras.

wheelhot

macrumors 68020
Nov 23, 2007
The O2 doesnt allow the pro looking cameras plus sometimes the ones where the lens moves in and out I think its no bigger than 35 mm lens
Pro looking camera as in DSLR? Then why do you want to take photos of the event again? Might as well record it instead. Cause no PnS in the world currently that can take proper low light shots without suffering from unusable images, heck even most DSLR right now will have difficulty capturing low light shots. :(

PimpDaddy

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2007
Pro looking camera as in DSLR? Then why do you want to take photos of the event again? Might as well record it instead. Cause no PnS in the world currently that can take proper low light shots without suffering from unusable images, heck even most DSLR right now will have difficulty capturing low light shots. :(

Escpecially the distance one would shoot the pictures from in the O2 Arena(been there tried that)

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
I can't imagine you're going to get great shots. I can't speak for those cameras, though I believe they are pretty good. The SX100 IS has a longer zoom (tele end I mean) for what it is worth. It doesn't go as wide so is a less useful general camera.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
With any point & shoot that you are able to smuggle in all you can really hope for are some snapshots that are going to be rather noisy but with some luck you may be able to get a pic or two that isn't too blurry. Any shots you do get though are just going to be snapshots that will just be a memento of you attending the concert, to get anything better you would need an SLR and some rather expensive glass that you wouldn't be allowed to bring in to the stadium without a press pass.

My advice is to just go, enjoy the concert and if you must just snap off a couple of pics with a point & shoot or even your cell phone camera just for the sake of a memento!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.