Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

klb028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Texas
Hey guys, I really need some of your help!

For Christmas, I asked for a digital camera (some of you may remember my earlier thread). Two of the cameras I mentioned that I liked were this Casio one and this Canon one. My dad had a gift card to Walmart and came home with this Casio one. It's a little different than the one I mentioned, but I didn't mind at all. However, when I turned it ona nd started looking through the back screen to see what I was viewing, the screen was REALLY, REALLY grainy... not clear AT ALL. I thought that it needed time to focus or to let the battery completely charge, but neither one of those helped either. When I compared a picture that I took with my new camera to an older one I had taken on my old Canon one, the Canon one blew the Casio picture out of the water. It was SO much better in quality, and it was only 5 megapixels compared to my new 6! I was so confused, so my dad said we could take it back tomorrow and see what other kind of cameras they have/what they can do.

My few questions are:

- are the Casio cameras always like that when viewing a picture through the back screen?
- does Walmart differ in the quality of the camera than Best Buy would?

and, since my dad bought it with a gift card, according to Walmart's website, they can only give you store credit. I'm having a difficult time here because after looking at some of the ones Walmart has, I'm not satisfied. I really, really like the Canon one they offer with 6 megapixels, but how am I going to know how good the quality really is or if it'll turn out like my Casio one? I just think the Best Buy offers a better selection as well, so my dad and I are both trying to determine if they would give us the cash back instead.

Anyway, hope everyone is having a good Christmas and any help/advice/suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated! :)

beatzfreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
NYC
I was at a Walmart last week and they had the Canon you had asked for. They may have the Casio as well.

Just go to Walmart and look at the cameras. They have them set up so you can test them out. Check out the one you got and see what the LCD screen looks like. You may have got a bad one.

Good luck.

klb028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Texas
hey, thanks for the quick reply! I hope you're right. I checked Walmart's website and I couldn't find the exact Canon one on there, but who knows. We'll see!

coldrain

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2006
Canon cameras most of the time are (quite a lot) better than Casio cameras. It is a bit hard to know which cameras you are talking about without model numbers/names, but it is safe to say that the Canon will blow the Casio that has dissappointed you quite a bit out of the water.

klb028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
Texas
Just wanted to let everyone know that I decided on this wonderful little beauty! Thanks again for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.