Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
Does anyone out there know how to transfer photos from my computer on to my camera memory card when my camera is directly hooked up to my computer? It can be done. I did this before and now i forgot how to do it. Last time I did it and image appeared on my desktop once I plugged my camera into the computer and then I dragged the photos I wanted transferred on the memory card to this image.

Mr. G4

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2002
Rohnert Park, CA
Mac2004 said:
Does anyone out there know how to transfer photos from my computer on to my camera memory card when my camera is directly hooked up to my computer? It can be done. I did this before and now i forgot how to do it. Last time I did it and image appeared on my desktop once I plugged my camera into the computer and then I dragged the photos I wanted transferred on the memory card to this image.

Juest set you camera as storage device, then when you plug you camera to your computer it becomes like a drive then just copy your file there.

DBAlex

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2006
Theres no need to read the manual, but some people say it... Your camera should be set as a storage device as soon as you plug it in, mine is!

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
Reading the manual is of limited help.

On my mac when i plug in my camera iPhoto opens automatically. But at the same time a symbol of my camera appears under the Harddisk Symbol. For one camera it looks like a memory stick, for another one it looks like a hard drive. Just open these symbols like normal HD's and copy your JPEG into the "DCIM" named folder. That's how it works for me.

If your camera does not appear as disk automatically you could open "Disk Utility". There it should appear and you could "mount" it as a Disk by clicking "mount".

Hope that helped.

Mac2004

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2004
I just opened up Disk Utility but it does not give me the option to mount. I see the mount option but it's not highlighted.

I did lokk in my camera manual and there was nothing in it about making my camera a storage device.

I have a new Canon PowerShot A620 7.1 megapixel camera.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Mac2004 said:
I have a new Canon PowerShot A620 7.1 megapixel camera.
Canon cameras usually don't act as USB mass storage devices.

Get yourself a cheap <$15 flash card reader, remove the card from your camera insert in the reader, connecto to your Mac, and copy away.

B

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Mac2004 said:
How do I set my camera as a storage device?

There are at least two common camera to computer interfaces. One of themis "storage device" and in recent years this has become the most common. Many camera allow you to elect the interface type.
It's a setting some place inside your camera's menu system.

If you can't figure this out get a USB card reader. These readers always use the Storage device tye interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.