Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VSG

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
Hi there!

I have a question: How often do you rinse your Apple Watch's Digital Crown?
About two weeks after I got my Apple Watch Sport, I recognized the Crown was getting sticky when trying to turn - up to getting stuck for a short moment before loosening again.
I tried the cleaning solution with normal rinsing water but that was just a temporary fix. The crown got stuck even during one day. I would have had to clean it several times a day.

When I went to the genius bar, they sent the Apple Watch in for inspection and about a week later I got a new one.
That was two weeks ago. Now it's happening again with the crown getting stuck. Yesterday it stuck up completely and I rinsed it. Today it's getting sticky again.

Is this normal?
Yes, I'm using the Watch for workouts as well but I didn't work out since I last rinsed it. And I'm not working in a very dusty environment. An office for crying out loud. So how do you cope?

Best regards,
VSG

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I have a question: How often do you rinse your Apple Watch's Digital Crown?
As often as most of my other watches: every time I take a shower.

Well, that's not exactly true, because I don't turn the crowns of my other watches in the shower. I don't bother unscrewing my Seiko's crown, either. I just rinse them off, getting any gunk out of the bracelet links and whatnot.

So, basically, every evening, I take my shower, rinse off my watch, wipe it dry, and put it on the charger for a while. When it's bedtime, I put the watch back on my wrist, then make sure the alarm is set so it'll wake me in the morning.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I don't shower or work out with my watch. Crown never sticks.

Correlation does not imply causation.

Umm. You don't shower or workout with your watch. Therefore you are not sweating when wearing the watch, which in return means you are not getting sweat or dirt into the crown and it doesn't stick.

Correlation does not imply causation? Cool. Doesn't have anything to do with my post. I am constantly rinsing my crown daily when I shower, as other people have mentioned in the post, rinsing it prevents it sticking. Even Apple has said, rinsing the crown will prevent sticking. Its merely a prevent measure, that in fact does work.

Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Correlation does not imply causation? Cool. Doesn't have anything to do with my post. I am constantly rinsing my crown daily when I shower, as other people have mentioned in the post, rinsing it prevents it sticking. Even Apple has said, rinsing the crown will prevent sticking. Its merely a prevent measure, that in fact does work.

Yet we hear from members who work out with their AW and never needed to rinse it.

OP: Someone tried the Apple-approved method without positive results and eventually solved the sticky crown issue by dropping a tiny droplet of Slip 2000 extreme weapons lube into the gap between the watch body and crown. You might want to try this.

StarkCity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2013
California
Yet we hear from members who work out with their AW and never needed to rinse it.

OP: Someone tried the Apple-approved method without positive results and eventually solved the sticky crown issue by dropping a tiny droplet of Slip 2000 extreme weapons lube into the gap between the watch body and crown. You might want to try this.

I second the lube idea..... I'll add I live where it gets 120 degrees in the summer and sweat all day where I work. I've never had the crown stick unless the case I'm using rubs on it from wearing the watch too tight, I've only rinsed this thing off twice since I've purchased it, I just clean it with a cloth and common household glass cleaner..... To each their own. Hope you get it sorted out.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
I had mine over a year now and wear it all the time, but rarely in the shower, but the crown never stuck.

Reactions: ladytonya

Bob190

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2015
I have had mine for over a year and rinse it after every workout (daily) .. no issues whatsoever.

VSG

Contributor
Original poster
Aug 9, 2014
Thanks for all the feedback!

I've tried something else yesterday and I'll see how this works out: I trimmed the hair on my wrist considerably. My growth of hair is rather strong (though nowhere near as much as that of many others - and we're decending from apes after all) and I figured maybe a lot more sweat is reaching the Crown due to the fact that the hair on my wrist is touching the casing of the Watch than I imagine. And where there's hair, there's grime as well. So I'll see how that goes.

The idea with the lube is something I'll keep in mind. I've read about it but since Apple is explicitly not recommending it, I've been hesitant.

Thanks again and have a nice day!
Best regards,
VSG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.